Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some Winchester 158 gr JHP handgun bullets to use in my 35 Rem. for cheap "goofing aroud" ammo to use on camping trips and walks in the woods. Heck may even try busting a yote with them. Never did any coyote hunting but I hear them most every night where I like to camp so I may give it a go.

Anyway I made up a few rounds to range test 36.5 gr on Accurate 2230 which is listed as a max load for 180 grainers in the Lee Manual so this should be rather mild which is where I want to stay with it for the most part. Cheap camp fun ammo.

Any of you use these hangun bullets in a .35 before? If so, what is your favorite loads?

Larry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Larry,

I shoot the Hornady 158gr hp over 26gr of AA2015 and have had awsome results.They shoot to the same point of impact as my 200gr deer loads and do a nice job on plastic milk jugs filled with water.there doing 2300fps.

Riflemen10x

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I may try that load with the Winchesters. I like them because they come cheap bulk bagged. $6.49 per hundred at Cabelas.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Larry,

Used to have a 35 Rem in a Super 14" Contender. I used H322 in bullet weights from 125 to 180 grain. Super accurate. Did some wet newspaper test with the Speer 125 gr HP. You could stick your fist in the hole about 6 inches deep. The 158 gr, in a rifle, should do about the same thing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried the bullets today. Was getting about 3/4 inch groups at 50. I don't consider that too bad for an undersized bullet and a stab in the dark load with a powder that is probably not all that suitable for the job. I have a lot of this Accurate 2230 I picked up cheap so I tend to use it a lot when developing a plinking load where the point is not pinpoint accuracy. It generaly does pretty well.

I will probably go up a little with the load next time because the primers were backing out.

Larry

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Larry,
I just picked up a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem for the wife.I was afraid that her 45-70 Guide Gun might knock her off balance in the tree stand.She only weighs 120 pounds,soaking wet.Can you offer a good 200 gr.bullet load for the 35 that I can start working with for black bear.I like your thoughts on the plinking loads for the 35.I'll try them since Sue doesn't know when to stop shooting.I need to teach her how to reload.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts