Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Any Elks members here?

944 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ANNABELLE 
#1 ·
I've been a member of a local Elks lodge for awhile now, and I really do enjoy it, because I really dislike bars because they're smoky and too loud, but our lodge is different. Sometimes there is lots of cigar smoke there which gets in my hair which I hate but normally it's okay. I don't drink much and can't drink hard liquor at all because I don't like the taste, and the lodge doesn't have the quality of cabernet that I require, so I just drink tea when I'm there. My friends Pam and Iris and I do the event planning, banquets, lots of the cooking, and that's fun.

But it's gotten so claustrophobic lately. There is so much fighting and gossiping among everyone, which I try to stay out of, but the more I try to stay out of it, the more I'm accused of "taking sides".

On the other hand, we're a very inclusive group of people, and I know that if I ever had a real problem, these people would be there for me before some members of my own family would be. I feel so safe there, and loved.

So anyway I was just wondering if there were any other Elks here.

#3 ·
Yeah, they can now, there was a lawsuit a few years ago, which I never really got, because all they really won was the right to pay dues. Or be officers, but who the hell wants to be an officer in a men's lodge? There are a couple really pushy type female officers in our lodge now and I avoid them because they think they're too special, but they aren't.

#4 ·
Well.. nope not member of anything anymore.. just stay to myself.. well I am member of the Shawnee Rabid Squirrel Hunters of the Rimfire Group .. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.