Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone get a deer with the FG this year? I haven't settled in on a exceptable load for mine yet, but I did get 2 does with my Redhawk .41mag in 04.
Next year for the FG and me. (Lord & load willing)

My redhawk shoots just about anything I load for it very well. My FG is a problem child that needs a little discipline and a steady parent. I'll keep working on the FG, because of love :roll:

·
Registered
426 Posts
:oops: No darn it!!! But am going to yote hunt in Feb. and Hog hunt in March so wish me luck. If I score I'll post the results. Wish me luck. :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The FG took two freezer-fillers in 2003 but I didn't have an opportunity to let her bark in 2004. What load did you use in the Redhawk this past season, how did the deer respond to being hit and how far did they go?

G

·
Loaded the 210 grain Nosler with 21 grains H110. Killed a couple at 60-75 yards . But I was not impressed with the way they reacted. Shot each deer twice and after skinning found the bullets went in behind the shoulder where I aimed. Both deer at the first shot didn't act like they had been hit :? I think next year I may try a cast bullet or the 210 grain XTP.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I took one deer with the 1894FG this season. The round was my handload of a Nosler 210 grain JHP in front of 22.0 grains of Hodgdon H110. Distance was 38 long paces. Single shot to the neck. He folded up on the spot and did not take a step.
Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
41Retro said:
The FG took two freezer-fillers in 2003 but I didn't have an opportunity to let her bark in 2004. What load did you use in the Redhawk this past season, how did the deer respond to being hit and how far did they go?
It was the second doe day of the firearms season. After standing under my tree-stand umbrella during two hours of rain, a doe worked her way to 15 yards in front of my pistol. She was facing me when the neck shot sent her to the ground, a second deer came running over and stood over the kicking deer, another neck shot dropped the deer right beside the first.
I didn't learn much from the shots.
The load was
19.6 gr W296 over 210gr Nosler sporting handgun bullet, set of with CCI350.

Last year the doe I shot at 40 yds with the Redhawk went 120 yards after a broadside double lung hit. I have yet to recover a .41 bullet from a deer.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Of the two I took in '03' with handloads using Hornady 210 gr XTPs and Lil'gun powder, one was hit in spine at close range and went down on the spot and the other was hit a bit behind the lungs from about 75 yards. That one ran about 80 yards, lay down and stayed there until a finishing shot could be administered.

Looks like everybody so far has been using jacketed bullets. I hunted this year with 220 gr cast loads but, as I said, had no chance to try it out on deer. Anybody have any results to share using cast bullets in the FG?

G

·
I have a Lyman mold for a 210gr GC bullet, but have not had good luck fitting the GC's. If I can get that fixed I may trty that bullet next year. Also I have intentions of trying some XTP's and maybe the Sierra an Speer bullets in it :!:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'll throw in with the rest of you; Last year, I shot a nice three point whitetail buck at 115 yards with my six inch .41 magnum, kneeling position. The deer jumped at being hit and fell over dead 20 yards later. The only down side to the deal was that I was trying to drop it on my side of the creek but it made it to the thick brush just off the opposite shore line before it died. The bullet went through the top portion of the heart and was not recovered. I got pretty wet crossing the creek twice and ofcourse, it began to rain heavily as I was taking care of it.

My load was (and remains) 22 grains of Win. 296, Speer 220 gr. s.j.s.w.c. s.p., Win/Rem. brass and CCI350 magnumLPP, seating and crimping in separate steps, heavy roll crimp.

The .41 magnum is one of the best deer rounds out there.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
6pt-sika,
I had .41 Lyman gas checks come off sized homecast LBT bullets. Hornady .416 checks worked better for me. You might want to give them a try. The Sierra JHCs shot pretty well out of my FG too. I've shot a lot of deer with the JHCs. They are particularly awesome for deer size game in the .357 Herrett at about 2100 fps. To twist an old saw, you CAN'T eat right up to the hole and it's a BIG hole. Velocity makes a big difference. At 1300 FPS out of the .41, they expanded nicely but still didn't exit broadside shot deer.

Buckskinner,
I think it was you who advised using the Speer 220 gr half jacket bullet a while back and I did give them a try. If my memory is right, they shot pretty fair out of the FG but not so good out of my Redhawk. I didn't do much tinkering with the load, though, so it wasn't much of a test. If I ever give up on casting, I may give them a more thorough testing.

G

·
41RETRO, I have a box of the 416 Hornadys. They are the ones that don't seem to want to seat on the base correctly. I am using a .410" sizing die , I believe if I had a .411 or .412 it might fit better....but I'm not sure :? I cast for a wide variety of bullets and calibers , and this is the first time somthing like this has ocurred :?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sounds like you have more experience casting than me. I've only been casting conicals for the flintlock and .41s so far. You may have something there about the size of the sizing die. I've been sizing to .411 to fit the bore of my FG.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buckskinner said:
My load was (and remains) 22 grains of Win. 296, Speer 220 gr. s.j.s.w.c. s.p., Win/Rem. brass and CCI350 magnumLPP, seating and crimping in separate steps, heavy roll crimp.

The .41 magnum is one of the best deer rounds out there.
I'll go along with that!

That is a full house, hot load there! What are your pressure signs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts