Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you took a deer with the 1894 .357 this year (or any other) please post your story. I am trying to convince a friend that the 1894c would be a great deer rifle for the Adirondacks in NY. I think he's still a bit skeptical so some real life tales will help convince him.

Thanks,
Wuchak

·
Registered
289 Posts
This topic comes up once in a while. Talk to Carwi, he is a 357 Nut and has taken a few deer with it. If I remember correctly, Marshall Stanton at Beartooth bullets is also a fan of the 357 for deer. Wouldn't mind one myself. It'd be a great gun for my young'ns.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Some of the newer .357 loads are approaching .41 mag in "thump".

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Not this year but have several in the past before I got my 44-40. I've still got my last .357 rifle though.

Willy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jarhead Ed is right! I have truly become a nut with my .357 carbines. Yes, they are quite capable of taking deer. While I haven't had the opportunity to take any deer this year (due to job), I have in the past and was quite pleased with the performance. Jerry Lester on here has probably taken more game than most with a .357. He got me interested so I thought I would give it a try and let me tell you, deer are not problem for this cartridge, even if you hit shoulders. I try to place my shots just behind the shoulder using a good 158gr JSP traveling around 1700-1750fps. I also keep my shots under 75yds as well. Last year I took 2 deer with mine. I shot them both while they were traveling together. The first was 40yds walking and the other was at a full run at 75yds or so. The first went down within 10ft and the other went around 50yds before laying down. I busted both shoulders on that second deer and couldn't believe it could even go that far before giving up. Both shots exited the deer's body and the damage inside was surprising. I was using a handload using Speer's 158gr JSP "Unicore" and Lil'gun powder. These little rifles will take anything from squirrels to deer with no problem. After giving the .357 a chance I have since quit hunting with my scoped 7mm Mag, I get what I need now from hunting with this carbine. You do have to be picky with your shots but that is what I like about hunting deer, you basically should hunt with a .357 as you would a bow, avoiding shoulder shots if possible. But, like I said with a good bullet you won't have a problem busting one if you need to. I was so happy with the results that I bought a second one and now I'm thinking of getting a Cowboy model to go along with my 1894C and 1894CP. They make a great rifle if want to carry a lighter rifle. Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Deer with the 357 magnum, as Carwi said are not a problem at all. I've killed 7 with my 357 Blackhawk, and quite a few more with my 357 rifles(quite a few LOL!).

Follow the directions Carwi gave you, and the 357 magnum will drop deer as good as any other caliber up to around 100 yards.

G

·
hhmmmm My dad has a 1894 in 357 mag and i'm sure that it could take down a deer at close range yet I would still never consider it for use on deer myself. Sure it may kill a deer but so will a pointy stick, IMO if you're set on using a revolver cartridge on a deer the very least should be a 44 magnum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John Taffin had a great article on the 1894c in the December issue of Guns magazine.

In the article he says, "To me, the 10-shot 1894C .357 Magnum is the handiest and most desirable of all centerfire rifles of any caliber or action type. There is very little needing to be done with a rifle that I cannot accomplish with this little Marlin."

He discusses various loads and accuracy. One of the 158 grain loads he cites has a muzzle velocity of 1900 fps from the 18.5" Marlin. He says, "To put this into proper perspective, consider that the original 30-30 load in 1895 was a 160-grain bullet at 1950 fps".

According to Remington's website their Remington 170-grain 30-30 is 2200 fps from a 24" barrel. I wonder what the velocity would be with 5 1/2" less barrel.

Over on Handloads.com there are people using the 158 Hornady XTP over 18 grains of Lil'gun and getting 1989 fps from the 1894.

With these velocities there is no question that the .357 in a rifle is not too far behind the 30-30.

G

·
I went back and looked at a article in "Rifle" magazine (#213 I think) that pretty much says the same thing. That the .357 rifle kills beyond what you would think and it was also compared to the 30/30 in killing power for "in range" shots. BM

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts