Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Colt Army Special revolvers, one in 32-20 one in 41 LC, both hae Colts PTF. A MFG Co. Hartford Ct. USA with patent dates of Aug 5, 1884, June 5, 1900 and July 4, 1905. The 32-20 is 3316**, the 41 is 4524**. Any one know where I can dig up some info on these models?

·
Registered
77 Posts
According to my R.L. Wilson book, "Colt, an American Legend" the 32-20 dates to 1911 and the .41 in 1920. This book does not provide much detail on the Colt DA's. The Army Special was made 1908 until 1927 when it was continued as the Official Police.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
msj348 Thank you very much, will have to locate a copy of the book, sounds like one I should have.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Colt.

I have a SS 38Super 1911, I bought it to replace the Colt Commander that the Govt' confiscated when the new gun laws came in here (australia).
I still shoot 45ACP, but in revolvers, I have a pair of 45ACP/Colt convertible Rugers.

I am about to buy a Colt Police Positive in 38Special. Its old and has lost most of it's finish, but still locks up nicely.

I haven't got around to getting any Colt SAs, I might let my head go when I retire shortly. I gotta have at least one before I die. 44/40 or 45Colt? Decisions, decisions! ****.

·
Registered
473 Posts
****, why no colt commander? Caliber or model? Just wondering. Byron :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Commander= Too much fun!

pastorp said:
****, why no colt commander? Caliber or model? Just wondering. Byron :D
It seems that that was the main reason, but offically the barrel was too short as the new minimum lenght is 120mm, which is roughly 4.75" and the calibre was too big, maximum 38. You can have pistols up to 45, but only if you shoot silouette or single action. Makes sense to someone I suppose. I have written a bit of an article regarding the laws which I have previously posted here. I will email it or post it next week if there is any interest. I'm a bit busy looking after the wife who is sick at he moment, I'll be off the net for a little while. ****.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have pair Colt 38 Long & 41 Long Colts

Mine are the same models as yours but in 38 Long and 41 Long Colt. Most of these I run across are in every bit as rough condition as mine pair. Lots of these probably had Black Powder run thru them as the early models came out when the World was tranisnioning to Smokeless, which may account for their condifition.

I shoot my old 32-20 Colt Police Positive Special from time to time and she's a heavy triggered, thin sighted little tack driver. If you ever want to let the 32-20 go please give me a chnace at bidding. - robin

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have two Colts but they are the 1911 verity. One Series 70 Government Model and one Officers Model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts