Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 32+ years of collecting cartridges, I have decided to sell my collection to finance the purchasing of Marlins. I have very few cartridges left, but I do have some great reference books. I have WRA Co. volumes 1 and 2, a mint reprint of the 1928 Winchester catalog, and a large volume with reprinted catalogs from the U.S. and Germany. These books are all in mint condition and command premiums when purchasing them through normal channels, but I will let them go at substantially reduced prices. Thanks for any consideration!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops! I forgot to mention this........if anyone has an extra copy of Brophy's Marlin book, maybe we can do a swap. My copy, along with 20 years of photo albums spanning my Navy career, never showed up after a move from San Diego.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Roundsworth:

I am not a cartridge collector but was given a box with 12 rounds in it. They are lead bullets with headstamp A, 5, 8, 12.

The box is in bad shape but you can make out.

20 Caliber .38 Revolver Ball Cartridges
for Colt's Double Action Revolver
SmokelessPowder, Muzzle velocity 775+or- 25 feet per second.
Dupont Bulls Eye Powder, H.Lot 57, of 1912.
Loaded Frankford Arsenal.

My question to you, as a cartridge collector, should I keep them? If they are collectable what in your opinion are they worth.

Thanks, djh

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djh,
If you look again at the headstamp on your 38s, you should find an 'F' and an 'A' to indicate Frankford Arsenal. The other 2 digits will be for the month and the year, IE: the '12' for the year, and a 5 or 8 for the month. Cartridges are a hard thing to sell. If you find the right buyer, you could probably get $2.00 apiece for them. Not very promising, but I have been stuck with hundreds of cartridges that nobody wants, mainly due to the fact that they may not be so uncommon. There are collectors that specialize in various areas, but getting a hold of them is a different matter. Hang on to them, or pass them along to a collector. Cartridge collectors are a rare breed when compared to coin or stamp collectors! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Thank you very much for the response. I think I will just hold on to them.

Cartridges I know nothing about from a collectors stand point.

Thanks again, djh

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I also have some old cartridges, and no one has been interested in them. Got a few 1909 FA 30USA. Some of the necks have split from old age. As with other items, though, the price seems to vary greatly if I'm trying to sell or buy. Every time I want some 30rf for one of my Marlin pistols, people get real proud of them! :wink: Same for a box of 25-36! That's just the collecting game, I guess. :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I collect Remington and UMC cartridges, and by chance I have an extra copy of Brophy's book! Email me if you have any books relating to Rem-UMC, or whatever?
[email protected]

G

·
Hogger, I know of what you speak :wink: Was at a small show, there was one guy selling used brass and collectible "gun stuff". Anyway I asked if he had a 25-36 and 40-60 Marlin . He scratched around and found one of each , I also bought some other stuff but near as I can figure they cost $5 each :? I have two boxes sealed of Winchester Repeater in 28 gauge and one in 20 gauge , these were made before 1920. I don't think Repeaters shells are overly rare but full sealed boxes of 20 & 28 from that time period have to be. Any way I had one in a bag at a show to show to a friend, while I was showing them to my friend you wouldn't believe some of the comments I got from "BLOWHARDS" wanting to buy those shells :evil:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you check out gunbroker and auctionarms, you would be amazed at what full boxes of ammo go for. The bidding gets scary sometimes. You have to ask the seller a lot of questions. Lots of them don't know what they have. I have received boxes of incorect ammo and handloads more than once. Even after asking questions! The sellers are always more than willing to correct the situation though. I recall a quote, in regards to your gun show experiences: "Better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!" I attended a gun show almost every month in Puyallup that always seemed to bring out the blowhard in people. I bought a lot of Marlins there, some 1893s, an 1881, a nice 1891, an 1898, a 36, and a few 336s.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Roundsworth,

Yep. There's a lot of experts out there! I'm glad I ain't one of 'em!! :wink: SW

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NebrHogger,
If you are looking for a nice box, empty, full or partial, to display with a gun, try RTGAMMO.COM. Ray Giles sells all sorts of boxes. 30 rimfire is definitely uncommon. I had a box of WRA Co. 25-36 to go with my 1893. It was a gnarly box, full though, and I paid around $50 for it. That was a few years ago. Coin and stamp collectors have wonderful systems that are recognized worldwide for determining value and certifying condition. Unfortunately, ammunition is not the same.

G

·
Roundsworth said:
NebrHogger,
If you are looking for a nice box, empty, full or partial, to display with a gun, try RTGAMMO.COM. Ray Giles sells all sorts of boxes. 30 rimfire is definitely uncommon. I had a box of WRA Co. 25-36 to go with my 1893. It was a gnarly box, full though, and I paid around $50 for it. That was a few years ago. Coin and stamp collectors have wonderful systems that are recognized worldwide for determining value and certifying condition. Unfortunately, ammunition is not the same.
Saw a box of 44 rimfire ammo circa 1880's on there for $2450 SOLD :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also collect some ammo - not single rounds in as much as nice display boxes. And, of course, I like them full. I have eight .25-36 boxes, five of them full and correct. It is always fun to look to fill the other boxes at the gunshows. Some of the dealers look at me like I'm crazy when asking for .25-36 ammo, and the next guys says "sure, I think I have some around here somewhere". Those are the guys you can usually buy them from for $1 or $2 a round. But it seems those guys are getting fewer and far between. And as far as the internet auctions go, MM is right - more money than brains for most of them.

WB

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also collect some ammo - not single rounds in as much as nice display boxes. And, of course, I like them full. I have eight .25-36 boxes, five of them full and correct. It is always fun to look to fill the other boxes at the gunshows. Some of the dealers look at me like I'm crazy when asking for .25-36 ammo, and the next guys says "sure, I think I have some around here somewhere". Those are the guys you can usually buy them from for $1 or $2 a round. But it seems those guys are getting fewer and far between. And as far as the internet auctions go, MM is right - more money than brains for most of them.

WB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts