Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_20140814_200030619.jpg
IMG_20140814_200144223.jpg
Heres one I've been plugging away on for some time. Its a ruger 77 hart barrel and a match chamber with a short throat. I just finished glassing it in a Hogue stock after installing the timney trigger. It wears a Burris C4 3x9. Ive probably mentioned this one before but its just now what I'm gonna call finished, provided I can get along with the Hogue stock. I really think its a masterpiece of a cartridge that was way before its time. I also have a CZ550 full stock in 6.5x55 that shoots very well. So let's hear about your 6.5's!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I got an old one! It turns 113 this year.

IMG-20130510-00004.jpg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Shot a CG-63 many years ago, have lusted after one of those accurate 6.5x55's since then.

CG-63_zps9aff6b9a.jpg

I actually have dies and brass I picked up at a garage sale.

Someday . . . . someday . . . .

B

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
That Model 70 xtr rings my bell. Great gun in a great caliber. I had one in a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55 that I tried every combination known to man and it would group one day and not he next. Finally it showed promise with 120 grain bullets but it would group two shots and throw one about 2 inches out. Even if it would not group good I still managed to make some good shots on game with it but a guy I knew wanted it more than I did. If I ever get a chance to get me one of the Model 70 xtr's in 6.5x55 I will jump at it.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have a 1936 Swede sporterized. They made superb barrels back then. Very accurate.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Hunted a Model 70 Featherwieght for a couple of years in the early 90's, was a accurate pleasing rifle, and the 129 Hornady was excellent on whitetails, remember it like H414. Just traded a rare Ruger #1 6.5 x 55 for a excellent Winchester 52B, but its a very accurate 22.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The 6.5x55 Swede is dear to my heart. I had a Carl Gustaff (1899) that shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards every time. I sold it for a song because the purist in me did not like the idea of a rifle of that vintage drilled and tapped. I do however still own a late 90's Winchester model 70 CRF FWT in 6.5x55, with which I have shot some outstanding groups. The 6.5x55 is an excellent cartridge, too bad it cannot be housed in a short action.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sparky,

Every old Swedish Mauser I have shot was very accurate. My Model 94 in the picture has shot sub MOA with the iron sights as issued. It's that kind of gun that if the groups aren't tight it's the shooter and not the rifle. I have two buddies that have 96's and they are just as accurate. I lucked into mine at a garage sale for $200. The bore is bright and shiney just the way you want it and the wood is some how dent free and all the numbers match. The biggest complaint about my rifle is that the previous owner removed the disk in the buttstock and replaced it with a Kennedy silver half dollar. I guess it will always be worth at least $.50 that way. :biggrin:

Hey BA, I do like those old ones. Been keeping my eye peeled for just the right one. Supposed to be real shooters.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My next rifle purchase will be a 6.5x55. I like the round and it's history. I love my 700 in 260 Rem, but it just doesn't have the nostalgia. I'd like to find a good deal on a Ruger m77 or CZ one of these days.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been shooting mine a little since I started the thread. The hogue stock with the full chassis while adding unwanted weight did tame the rifle considerably. I have a pretty good load with hornady 129gr sst and a paper load with Sierra 140 match kings. I had been having problems with good groups one day and then poor the next. The new stock seems to have solved the issue.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a Ruger Model 77 MKII in 6.5X55. I might have purchased the last one available before they quit making them in 6.5. This has been an awesome firearm for me. East Texas whitetails are not big animals and they drop as if they have been, well, shot. I shoot the hotter Hornadys and have been 100% satisfied.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I've got a pristine stock Carl Gustaf, and one that I picked up for $125 that had near virginal metal (w/matching numbers) and horrendously abused wood. The latter was made into a Scout rifle configuration with a nice Claro classic stock from Richards. The round seems to be intrinsically accurate from the research I've done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got a 1909 Carl Gustaf M96 and I'm 6.5mm fan in general. I bought my wife a first year .260 Remington. I've got two 6.5 Grendels and my last project was a 6.5x47 Lapua.

I have a .25-06 that I would someday maybe like to bump up to a 6.5-06 but it still shoots dime size groups so I won't be changing that too soon.

-Will-

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Will, how do you like that 47? Been thinking about that one for a while now. I have a 260, 6.5x57 and a couple x55's and would consider the 47 in the future.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts