Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded for a walnut handled Winchester bullet mold marked "32-165" and cast a few from it. They mike out at .318. My Ideal loading tool marked 32-40 M throws a out of round bullet that mikes .321 and .319. Was there that much difference between the bores of Winchester and Marlin rifles? Mine mikes out at .322 but has much rod wear at muzzle. Are the Ballard rifles large also? How about some of the other barrels out there? Stevens, Remington, H&A? Thanks, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I can't tell you what Winchester bores slug to, but I've had 7-8 .32-40 Marlins, and they seem to slug in the .318-.320" range. My Stevens 47 in .32-40 slugs at .319", so it's right in there too. My Ballard .32-40 slugs at .319" also.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am using Meister .323" bullets in my 1893 "B". The first shot through a clean barrel wants to tip a wee bit, but the rest fly straight and true. I experience very little leading with the hardcast bullets. The muzzle is not quite perfect, but still shows some rifling right to the chamfer. I don't know if this information is of any use, but I thought I would toss in my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Hey Roundsworth, I'm using the Meister hard cast .323" bullets in all my .32-40's, and my 8.15x46 German Aydt too. I'm pretty impressed with their accuracy, especially in the Aydt, which I've gotten a best group of around 1" at 100 yds with the Meisters. I like them well enough that I ordered 1,000 after my initial order, and stopped casting them. Spend the time better casting for other calibers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you guys tell me where to order some when I can? Thanks, moodyholler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts