Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Antelope hunting in Wyoming

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  catskinner 
#1 ·
I could use a little help with figuring out where to hunt antelope in Wyoming.
My understanding is that there is a ton of public land to hunt. The problem is I've been told that there are ranchers who will run you off of it on the pretext that it's private land. I'm not interested in butting heads with folks and I don't have the financial resources to plan a trip, get all the way to Wyoming, and then chase all over the state trying to find a place where I can hunt. I'll only be able to do this once. Not sure if it will be this year or next. It's a bucket list thing.
Any information or connection with those who might help will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: J BOBWAY and M700
#2 ·
Ok a few things
where are you from?
I ask cause I know of some places to hunt speed giats, but not in Wy
next, I have been in and about Pinedale Wy, and say 45 miles in every direction on that area, south /south west of there when I was out there I seen a lot of them, but don't know what areas were hunt able or private
I would strongly suggest contacting wy game dept, they normally have maps or can direct you to good public areas, or even maybe some private/ co op type private lands that allow a certian amount of hunters in, if you either contact the owners, or first come first on type deals
but do some looking on area's you like, then contact that area's game warden, and you can fine tune a hunt plan
been hunting out of state, on DIY type hunts for 20 + yrs
Google earth will be a BIG tool to take advantage of
for finding water hole, and even making maps with boundry line, you can them print and take with you
let me know where your from, might be able to help you more, if your open to other states to hunt them in
good luck

#3 ·
The first thing is to start buying points. You can buy them starting July. Check the Wyoming G&F website
for the exact dates.
The areas I hunt in the southwest of the state you need at least 4-5 points for the regular draw, or 2-3
in the special draw.This costs twice as much. I do this because I can hunt more often.
The farther east you go the more private land there is. mrbb had some good advice.
I would like to help if I can. Good luck

#4 ·
You have missed the draw for this coming season. You might be able to pick up some surplus licenses. The application period is something like Feb or March, so plan on that for next year. Much of southern Wyoming is public land, even into the middle of the state is public land. A google search should show you. You can also buy programs to add to your GPS unit that will display what is public and what is private land. Virtually any BLM ground will hold antelope, so really it's wide open hunting wise. Steve

Reactions: M700
#5 ·
Yup. My Wyoming non-resident mule deer & antelope application had to be in quite a while ago. Waiting on the draw now.

Should be some "leftover" tags available though, this summer. Check with Wyoming's fish & wildlife dept. They've got a good website and of course are avail by phone.

For one reason or another I waited 40 years from wanting to go antelope hunting in high school, to actually getting it done in 2012. It was a hoot! Well worthwhile, and the meat is delicious!

Regards, Guy

#7 ·
Antelope is good eating, don't try and age it. Get it frozen or in the skillet but don't age it. As hunts go, it may be the perfect spot and stalk hunt. The country is big and open, but usually there is enough geography to crawl behind or otherwise use to your advantage. Shots can be as long as you want or more realistic shots of 2-300yards. A big buck will not mean a prosperous winter for you, neither will going home empty handed mean hard times ahead. They just aren't that big, but they are fun. Antelope hunting is my favorite big game. Look into the surplus tags, does or otherwise, they make for a really cool western experience. Good luck, Steve

#9 ·
oldtrooper, As an alternative to WY check South Dakota GF&P web site. Northwestern part of the state has a lot of walk in areas plus some national grass lands. Game ,Fish & Parks web site should have maps if not contact them for the printed map showing all the public lands and WIA. Seasons are not set yet and the drawing is usually in August. Unfortunately antelope numbers are down from several years ago but they are coming back. At least I've seen more this spring than last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.