Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a nice Anschutz mod. 184. Great wood and finish.Bolt action with clip feed.Never seen one before.Any of you fine folks know anything about this rifle.Price is $300. Thanks,Tarheel

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now Sarge,I do tell the truth once in a while.Might have to check into this one a little more.tarheel

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just love Anschutz rifles :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Almost everyone I know prefers an authentic hand-rubbed oil finish, although to be truthful it’s better if you use a nice chamois leather to rub it with.
All my guns both rifles and shotguns have had their original finish removed and an oil finish applied.
It’s just so much easier to keep the stock in good shape when you compare it to a polyurethane finish (one scratch and the finish is buggered). With the oil finish, any marks or scratches are simply taken out with wet & dry paper with a little linseed oil on it and then re-finished. A couple of weeks later and it has blended in without any visible difference.
Some stalkers(deer hunters) complain that it doesn’t stop them from absorbing moisture in very wet or wintry weather, but as I always say, if you are using a rifle in very wet/extreme conditions, then you should really be using a composite stock anyway. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts