Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another "what two powders" thread...

So, I've already got a pound each of IMR SR4759 and IMR 4064. I have enough disposable income that the next time I go to town, I can afford to pick up two new powders to try. I'm trying to not end up with dozens of different powders right now, and would like to figure out two or three that will work well for my 35's.

I'm reloading 35 Remington and 35 Whelen, and I have 190 Ranch Dog cast with gas checks, 200 Hornady FTX, Speer 220, and Speer 250 bullets.

If one of these two or three powders will also work well in a 32 Winchester Special, that would be great, since that is the cartridge I'm most likely to reload next.

I've looked at reloading data til my eyes are bugging out, but I was curious about what people here had to say about that.

thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: another "what two powders" thread...

I'm def not the expert here, but I know H4895 works great in my 35 remington with the 200 grain ftx, very tight groups. I see on the hodgdon website that H4895 can be used in the 35 whelen, 35 remington, and the 32 winc special. Im sure someone else with more experience loading the other cal will chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts

Can't speak to what would work well in a .32 Special, but if I were limited to just two powders for the .35 Remington, I would be plum tickled with IMR -3031 and H-335. Those two powders gave me the best compromise of accuracy and velocity in my .35 with a number of bullets. I have tried W-748, H-4895, IMR-4064, AA-2520, and of course the IMR-3031 and H-335.

With the 180 gr Speer JFP, IMR-3031 gave me a very accurate load that produces right at 2,200 fps. With every 200 gr bullet I have tried so far, H-335 is producting the best accuracy and velocity. The AA-2520 was nearly as good with the 200 gr bullets as the H-335 was, but for me and my rifle, the edge goes to H-335.

Still have to sing the accolades to Swany for being persistent on his praise of H-335 in the .35 Remington - - that is what finally convinced me to try it, and I am glad I did.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

While many powders would do the job, I try to stick with the ball powders for ease of use and they fit in the case a lot better than stick powders.

H335 should work well in all the cals you list. Me what I do when I get into this scenario is try to buy a 1 lb and work good loads in each then if you are satisfied that one will work buy an 8 lb, pour whats left of the 1 lb in and shake it.

4759 does a good job in that it's bulky meters well and it's uses are limitless. This I would replace with Unique for plinkers if that is your intent. Shooting plain base cast or the Ranch dogs with light loads is fun, using small amounts of Unique in the .35 Rem or Whelen with pistol bullets gives you low recoil, less muzzleblast and generally a good accurate load for small game and targets. The .32 really does well with Unique and cast for fun.

So I would suggest Unique and H335 they are very useful and cover a larger area than you will use them for. Good luck on your quest, have fun.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts

I've never loaded the 35 Whelen, but I have used IMR-4064 with success in the 35 Remington. It also appears that it will do a decent job in the Whelen. H4895 will work, as will most of the mid range burning powders.

If you are going to throw the 32 Special in the mix, I think I'd use H4895 for all 3.

·
Super Moderator
5,590 Posts

IMR 3031 and Ramshot TAC for full power loads. The TAC is for deeply seated heavy bullet loads in the 35 Remington, like the 200 FTX and 220 Speer. IMR 3031 is for the 180 Speer and 200 RN's as it gives good case filling characteristics and good velocities with both weights and is an excellent cast bullet powder. Using the RCBS 200 FN or the Ranch Dog 190 3031 is very good. I use 35.5 grains of IMR 3031 with a 225 grain cast bullet that seats the gascheck to the base of the neck (design intended to optimize the 35 Remington and avoids deep bullet seating) and obtain 2050 fps and good accuracy. The same charge gets just about the same speed with the RCBS 200 and only a little bit more with the RD bullet.

TAC works great in the 35 Whelen/350 Remington magnum up to the 250 grain weights, and 3031 is a good powder for lighter bullets in those cartridges as well.

For cheap low cost plinkers I like Swany's idea of Unique. For best cast bullet accuracy at moderate speeds (1200-1800 fps) something on the order of 4227, 2400, or SR IMR 4759 will do very well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up going to the city today, but the place I stopped for powder didn't have a great selection. I ended up picking up a pound of Reloder 15, since I've heard rave reviews about it for the Whelen, but saved the rest of my money for finding one that is more multipurpose. IMR 3031 and H-4895 were both on my list, but not available today. I'll add TAC and H335 to my list, and see what is on the shelf the next time I get to one of the specialty gun shops. I was just stopping by one of the big box places today. Thanks again for the help. Sometime in the next month or two, I should finally have cleaned out and reorganized the shop and made a bench to set all this stuff up on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.