Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local Cabelas has a Marlin 38-55 with an octogon barrel. The serial starts with 97(on the side of the receiver weird?) so I assume it is a 2003. They are asking about $1000, did not see anything wrong with it. Also I reload so ammo cost would not be an issue, but what is the brass availability?
I have looked at it 3 times over several months and since it is still there I assume they are over pricing it.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
You might try offering a bit less. We bought a Marlin 20a from the fine gun room at a BPS not long ago and they were willing to "negotiate" a bit. If that rifle has been in the room for that long they might be ready to move it. I think we looked at it a few weeks ago, but not sure it's the same rifle.

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
Took a quick look at GB, they have been selling for anywhere from $825-$950, and one NIB for $1200. As to brass, Starline makes the best, but you might have to wait until they make a new batch, then you need to buy quick, before they are all gone again.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Is there a reason that you want that particular caliber or is it the condition of that gun, and the barrel that draws you to it? It does sound a bit high.

A lot of what determines the value of different rifles is what the gun is worth to YOU. One of our LGS has a JM Marlin Cowboy chambered in 45-70 Oct. Barrel. Excellent condition, it does have the Lawyer safety. He's asking $1000.00. Meh, its not worth that to me. It might be worth that to someone else, but I am not in the position to buy a rifle like that financially, and that gun is clearly a Safe Queen. At my age, I am not interested in collecting as an investment, I am interested in shooting.

I am not one that chases after rifles that are of a caliber that is not commerically available. That factor alone decreases a rifle's resale value. None of us are going to live forever so we should be mindful of how much we spend for what.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not in need at all, as I have enough rifles already, but I cant help but ckeck out any used Marlins I come across and it is interesting. If it were $700 it would already be in Layaway.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I saw a NIB 38-55 octagon barreled Marlin go for 1000 bucks on GB. From your description--I bet it was the same rifle. This model won't be cheap--maybe they might dicker with you if they wanna sell it. Brass availablity is another matter--maybe Wind or one of the other dinger ringers here can give you some info on reloading for the 38-55.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Galaxieman - If it is the 336 Cowboy it was made near the end of their prodiction run. It was only made for about 4 years. Locally it would bring $800 - $1,000 if in very good condition, seller had factory box, ect. Most used 38-55s sold lately have been by individuals and usually sell with dies, brass and wrong size lead bullets. Marlin made some "rebarrels" for a short time after production stopped until they ran out of barrels. Serial numbers on those are unknown. A lot of money, but for the results it's a caliber than has a lot of potential. As others have stated, you could make an offer around $800 and see what happens. The worst they could say is "no". The 336 Cowboy stumbled coming out of the gate in that the ammunition components were not available and new factory jacketed ammunition was very scarce. I load for my 1999 made rifle from 1999-2000 using necked up/fire formed 30-30 brass. Too, you had to slug the bore as most lead bullets initially offered were 376/377 when most take 379-380. As a recently made, short time offered rifle, remember "they ain't making them anymore". What is out there is what there is. I consider the 38-55 one of the best all around calibers produced in terms of utility vs loading requirements. Good luck. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a Cowboy as it says 336 CB on it. I have oodles and gobs of 30-30 brass so I guess it could be sized up. I will keep thinking about it and may make an offer.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my buddy that works there verified they wont drop the price. Not sure how but they supposedly have way too much in it to deal. I wont be making any offer on it. Eventually I will send my 52 waffletop to JES to make it a 38-55.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
Sorry to hear that Amos. Cabela's is known for its pricey rifles. I bought a 1992 NIB Ducks Unlimited Edition 1894CL 32-20 for 675 bucks on GB. Cabelas wanted 1300 bucks for the regular edition NIB 1894CL 32-20. :vollkommenauf:

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have bought several from them. but unless they come to their senses on this one I wont.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I would think at some point they would have to cut a deal. A rifle gathering dust on the shelves isn't doing them any favors.

Reactions: Shenandoah

·
Registered
990 Posts
The 38-55 is supposed to be a sweet shoot'n caliber, capable of some very good accuracy. ie Wind and SFR are both shooting their 38-55 's in the Quigley match as we speak. Last year I was lucky enough to see a nice shooting clinic put on at 600 yds by Wet Dog, Wind, SRF and others.

I have heard that unlocking the mystery of reloading for it can be a long road. Brass is available, starline makes a production every so often, and like others have said, it is out there, but you have to look for it. I am just repeating what I have seen and heard, I do not have one.

Another caliber to reload for is not in my budget right now, however I am hopefull of winning the powerball lottery any week now and have promised myself to collect every caliber Marlin ever made and SHOOT them all! NO SAFE QUEENS.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
G-man - If you go the JES route his rifles usually use a 377 diameter bullet. Don't buy 380 ahead of time (unless you get a real good deal). I've owned a JES and tell you from experience resizing a 380 diameter bullet down to 377 is more difficult than you would think. I think I bent the handle of my old Lyman 45 sizer by putting an 10 inch long cheater pipe over the short factory handle. What ever you do good luck, it is a real capable caliber that won't beat your shoulder up. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Sometimes Cabela's is high and sometimes their prices are right on. Once in a while their prices are real good :) I think $1,000 for a 336 Cowboy in 38-55 is right on target these days. I think the only way you'll find a cheaper one is in a pawn shop somewhere. You won't find one for less on the auction sights...

JMO,
-Bob George

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.