Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temps were in the mid-90s with thunderstorms all around the LGS range yesterday. I really needed to do some more load testing for my 338MX which has been put off due to the weather. Couldn't do any reliable rifle load testing in yesterday's high humidity and high temps--so the rifle stayed home. I decided to break out my Uberti Open Top 1860 Colt Army Conversion 44 SPL revolver and my recently acquired Uberti "Man with No Name" quasi-Colt Navy 1851/Colt Open Top 1871 38 SPL replica movie prop revolver. Took them to the range for me and the wife brought her S&W Mod 622 22LR semi-auto. Both my revolvers shot well in the thunder/rain but the wife's pistol didn't like the CCI 22LR standard velocity ammo that we brought (shot very low at 7 and 15 yards). It definitely prefers Winchester 22LR ammo which I haven't been able to find lately. We stayed dry since the pistol range has overhead cover and had lots of fun killing paper. Much better than watching the rain coming down in buckets from my back door.
Metalworking hand tool Tool Backsaw
Leaf Macro photography Organism Pollen Circle
Fashion accessory Hair accessory Art

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The wife's S&W Mod 622 will shoot just as well with the right ammo. I need to buy my wife some Winnie 22 LR ammo and get her to the range again.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Too bad I didn't know there were members into shooting the old open top conversions. I'm not into them myself but had a Colt remake, still a reproduction as far as I'm concerned, with a professional job of converting to 22lr. I didn't allow much for it on trade and sold it quickly at the same rate.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Reactions: Owen49

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To bad I didn't know there were members into shooting the old open top conversions. I'm not into them myself but had a Colt
remake, still a reproduction as far as I'm concerned, with professional job of converting to 22lr. I didn't allow much for it on trade
and sold it quick at same rate. View attachment 721290
The Open Tops are fun to shoot and can be quite accurate once some load testing and development is done. The young guy next to me yesterday at the range was shooting a Tupperware 9mm and had pizza pie shot groupings. He had bought some cheepo FMJ ammo and his pistol was having none of it. He was amazed that my Open Tops we shooting fairly good groups a 7 and 15 yards. I told him to reload and find out what his pistol really likes--or at least to experiment with different factory ammo.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
This Colt had the cute factor, but as you can see no ejector system. A small brass key similar to ones they use to have on Spam was provided to punch empties. I did shoot it just for grins and could hit cans at 25' more than I missed.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My "Man with No Name" Open Top doesn't have a real ejector rod either. The fake BP loading lever is a two-piece affair which can be separated and used to punch out the empties. Not as fast as a housed spring ejector but it is pretty effective.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the old (and remakes of old) guns. Especially black powder. Nice shooting and nice hog legs.
Thanks! I haven't taken the plunge into a real BP revolver yet. When I do--I want a 1858 New Army Remington. Its my favorite cap and ball pistol. I already have a 1858 Remington conversion model in 45 Colt.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I have never had any interest in repros, or the remakes. I use to get a lot of cap & ball repros on trade. My dad took a interest in
shooting them so I just gave them to him. The only one I ever bought was a Ruger Old Army for oldmans birthday. That has to be the
best BP revolver ever built. We have a 1849 and 1851 that has come down through the family. Dad would load them up and shoot
them about 6 shoots apiece. Take them apart boil them with Felsnapta soap, clean dry & oil and put away for a couple more years
we weren't allowed to mess with them. He did shoot a possum with the 31, bad luck it showed up at wrong place at wrong time.
I use to get Originals fairly often when I was a kid, now few and far between and one in shootable shape are rare. I guess I'm to
lazy to shoot BP, because of the cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have never had any interest in repros, or the remakes. I use to get a lot of cap & ball repros on trade. My dad took a interest in
shooting them so I just gave them to him. The only one I ever bought was a Ruger Old Army for oldmans birthday. That has to be the
best BP revolver ever built. We have a 1849 and 1851 that has come down through the family. Dad would load them up and shoot
them about 6 shoots apiece. Take them apart boil them with Felsnapta soap, clean dry & oil and put away for a couple more years
we weren't allowed to mess with them. He did shoot a possum with the 31, bad luck it showed up at wrong place at wrong time.
I use to get Originals fairly often when I was a kid, now few and far between and one in shootable shape are rare. I guess I'm to
lazy to shoot BP, because of the cleaning.
Had a shot at a Ruger Old Army cap and ball about two years ago but the LGS wanted too much for it. You are right--that revolver was very well built. I enjoy shooting BP/Conversion reproductions and 1970 S&Ws/Colts over the plastic guns made these days.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Today's plastic guns are tools, I guess they will do the job. They have no class or character. I will not be surprised to see them bubble
packed. I have never seen a guy sorting through a rack of ARs looking for the nicest stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.