Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a unique testimony to the .22 and it's potential.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Been sayin' it for fifty years, it can be nasty, my brother-in-law was a "tunnel rat" and a Colt Woodsman was his weapon of choice at close quarters. If I had to choose one rifle for the rest of my days it would be a .22. Thanks for posting this Swany.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
Lol - that's the video I posted after the Israelis stopped using Ruger 10/22's as a non lethal deterrent. They found out that a 22 is lethal more often than not.
More lethal than previously thought...

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's why I'll always have more .22 rounds probably than any other round I have. You can't get a more useful round at the prices you can stock up on .22 with. Just one more reason I continue my search for a 39A!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Never bought into minimum calibers for big game, one shot stops, DRN, and stopping power. Good man who knows his gun, trumps all.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Grandpa took many deer with his .22 rifle during the Depression and long after, never lost one, only rifle he owned on the old farm.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Sometimes when a .22 hits bone, it bounces around like a ping pong ball, causing multiple wounds from one round. They can do absolutely bizarre and unpredictable things.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a Stevens Whippet single shot. My mom bought it for my dad as a wedding gift in 1939 at a church sale. I was told she paid $2.13 it came with a box of ammo.

The bolt area you can see 5 distinct notches them were filed in by my father the day I killed 5 deer with it when I was 8 or 9.

Legal deer gun back then I was not legal and neither was hunting from a tree.

But one round to the back of the head below the skulls base done all 5.

What you don't see is the other 16 notches (all deer) he put there previously with a knife blade.

I've always known that capability of a .22 with proper shot placement.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I love my .22's! Plinking or hunting, they're just so fun to use and own! Swany, you are exactly right about "Proper shot placement"! Still a bunch of folks out there who want to start a debate with me about "knock down power" when I start talkin about my favorite 39A or 99M1. I just smile and go on...knowing how much fun they are to shoot! Happy shootin everyone!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
The old mob hit men used to use 22's to dome their victim's.
On a side note that one guy was he in home alone?
He looks like the guy who got smacked in the face with paint cans.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I read about that African big game hunter, W.D.M. Bell, amazing the game he took with a .22 as a boy in Africa.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have been hit from a ricochet when shooting at 20y in our indoor range,luckily it was a glancing blow to my left calf.still felt as though i had been punched though

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Shot a lot of pigs with my 10/22. Less noise tends to scare them less as well and the rest don't go so far. Most of us know how much fun a .22 is,why do you think ammo is so hard to get?lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
Sometimes when a .22 hits bone, it bounces around like a ping pong ball, causing multiple wounds from one round. They can do absolutely bizarre and unpredictable things.
I heard tell of a guy who faced down a robber with a bigger gun - he described what his 22 "shredder" would do to the crooks insides and how it was a long lingering painful way to die. Said the bad guy just turned and run. ;)

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When using a .22 for defense at close range, a nice revolver with 60 grain sniper sub sonics in it will penetrate very nicely.

Around 10 yds they start to tumble because then need a gun with like a 1in8 twist bbl. They will get a little meaner entering sideways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts