Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well boys and girls -- My Montana Vintage Arms sight base arrived today. This base is for the Marlin 1895 and 336 rifles. I had it mounted on the Limited II in a jiffy. It requires two additional holes, drilled and tapped in the top tang for two 10-32 screws. I chose an MVA #108 mid-range staff, grabbed a block of bullets, and went to see how it would work. Got the zero established at 50 yards, and swung over on the 400 yard dinger. Next thing I know I’m out of bullets, again. They just seem to evaporate!! This is a never ending problem around here. So here is the rifle with the new sight…

Edit: An extra hole must be drilled in the sight base to accommodate the original factory drilled and tapped sight base holes in the tang on 1893 rifles.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Who would take a fun gun to the range with only 40 bullets?

Nice sight. What more can you share, price, source, list of rifles they make for? Link.

Thanks.

Note: Just Googled MVA, told me all I wanted to know.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Geez Wind, you have the coolest toys! I'm feeling sorry for myself....Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Enough post to reach the 1,000 yard dinger? :D

That rifle just keeps getting better and better.

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Super Moderator
19,128 Posts
40 shots and no video!!! What is the hole dia. on that sight Wind :)

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Wind another two weeks and i'll be sportin my new MVA #108 on my 38-55! ;D Since i'm not workin since surgery a little cruise from the North East to the Sagebrush ranch might be in order. It's only a couple thousand miles! :D I'll bring some goodies for Clete to gnaw on and i'm sure I can find some Moose Drool the closer I get. Think Clete would mind sharing a hunk of the floor for one night?

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey there FredT -- On face value it does seem pretty pathetic, doesn't it? The reality of it is that I've run over 600 rounds through this rifle in less than a month. I'm desperately trying to hang on to 40 bullets for the next silhouette match!! Even then it will prolly be shot with three different weight bullets. The last 8-10 in each box. I don't know what I'm gonna do if my Skinner skinny front sight get here before, and I need to re-zero. Yes indeed, between a rock and a hard place!!

and stevewhr -- Buck up buddy!! Check out www.montanavintagearms.com or www.purdygear.com and think "Christmas present to myself"!!

Wet Dog -- There are some 430 grain gas checked bullets on the way. Sort of a 7th Cavalry thing. My fear is they are being led by Custer and straight to the 1000 yard line, and won't make it to the Sharps or silhouettes.

me -- Wet Dog is the brains of this team! We'll see what we can do on his next visit. I'll try to figure out the hole size in the eye cup later today.

lever addict -- That would be a great run at a great time of year. Figure at least a week here. Plenty of floor space.

Best regards Wind

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey there me -- It would probably take a call to MVA to find out. I tried a .040" drill bit and it was to big. Whatever it is, it's the standard eye cup I got with the sight(s). As you probably know, the smaller hole, the better for target/dinger work!! Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wind, that is downright cool! I have a receiver sight on my LTD-II and I think I'd much prefer a set-up like yours. Looks like you're going to cost me some more money besides the 38-55 rebore I just did......

BTW, I think the LTD-II is the perfect blend of all the Marlin 45-70 variations. I guess you probably like yours as well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Oh Wind thou great enabler,

How dos't thou tempt us so !

What another great shot of a great rifle.

Love the rear sight. Am on tenderhooks til mine arrives.

I will be loading as many 38-55 rounds as possible along with some 32-40 and some 45-70. Off to the range for a days fun sighting in and plinking. Unfortunately all I have readily available is a 100 meter range but I WILL MAKE DO.

Chris

ps keep up the great reports.

·
Premium Member
18,013 Posts
I have GOT to get me a fencepost like that one. It's quite photogenic! :)

Wind, I don't know how you can take a paltry 40 rounds out to play and expect to have any fun. Seriously. I figger if the echo of my last gunshot has already died out, it's time to shoot again. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Take 40 rounds to the range? You guys do not understand the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch. Wind's house IS the range. His reloading equipment is mounted on his shooting bench. You never see him shooting from the bench? There isn't room to shoot from his bench, that why he has to shoot off-hand so much.

Wind has a dream house, located just off the highway and set against thousands of acres of wilderness, he can open the door and shoot from his living room if he so desires (which he doesn't). Wind shoots coyotes from the door of his shop. So running out of ammo means walking back into the house, to the reloading room, for more. Eat you heart out you city guys. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Wind said:
Well boys and girls -- My Montana Vintage Arms sight base arrived today. This base is for the Marlin 1895, 336 and 1893 rifles. I had it mounted on the Limited II in a jiffy. It requires two additional holes, drilled and tapped in the top tang for two 10-32 screws. I chose an MVA #108 mid-range staff, grabbed a block of bullets, and went to see how it would work. Got the zero established at 50 yards, and swung over on the 400 yard dinger. Next thing I know I’m out of bullets, again. They just seem to evaporate!! This is a never ending problem around here. So here is the rifle with the new sight…
Wind---

As always--beautiful. If wishin' could make it so !!!!

What do you mean by mid-range ? Are there different staffs available or do you need entirely different sights for different ranges ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey there Steve -- The most basic answer to your question is there are generally three staff heights. Short, medium, and long. These may be in the neighborhood of 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 1/2 inches long. The longer the staff, the longer the range, as there is more elevation available. Generally for these mid-bore rifles (30-30, 38-55 and 45-70) a middle sized, or mid-range, sight will reach from 50 to 1000 yards. There are plenty of other factors, but hopefully this gives you a broad idea.

Montana Vintage Arms builds such an accurate sight that you can rotate a short Sharps vernier on a rifle for hunting, and using the same base, mount a mid-range or long range staff for target and dinger work. With different rifle configurations requiring different bases, this is a great economy factor. Mount the bases and rotate the required staff for the shooting/rifle style at hand.

The Soule style tang sights are similar, but have about twice the windage adjustment built into the sight. Again generally speaking, I've never felt the need for the extra windage or the extra in the sight price. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Hey there me -- It would probably take a call to MVA to find out. I tried a .040" drill bit and it was to big. Whatever it is, it's the standard eye cup I got with the sight(s). As you probably know, the smaller hole, the better for target/dinger work!! Best regards. Wind
Why not get a Hadley and be done with it ?:hmmmm:

Steve

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That is a nice looking setup. I had to zoom in on the pic to see what caliber. That's a lot of rounds through the 45-70.

The MVA sights ARE pricey (I am sure they are worth every penny too), but for those of us on a budget, Lee Shaver makes some affordable, but very good quality sights.

I had one of these and loved it. This is the economy model, and he does have one for about $160 more, with more features.

You can look him up with a google search, or even on Ebay search for soule sights.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts