Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a shot of my .30-30:

Skinner sights, home-made light mount. Sort of a cowboy-tactical.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
likey

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I really hate to be a stick in the mud, an ant at a picnic, and a thorn in one's side.
In a tactical situation, every white light I see, gets a 178gr boat tail @ 2900fps.

If I saw that out in the woods, Id say its a poacher's rifle.
Aint nothing tactical about white light.
So says the DOD's noise & light discipline field manual.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, seriously, you gotta move with the times.

Lights are in. Everyone uses them. No one is going to stop because you don't like them. Sorry to break it to you. The World has moved on. Accessory rails are the present, and the future.
If you ever saw a modern soldier or marine's gear, you'd cry for a thousand years. Some of them even have (GASP) night vision!

If you don't like the guns, simply move on.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Dont care whats "In" When I was in the jungle, it was far from being "In"
No one wins are war, you only survive.
The best way to survive is to NOT be seen. Day or night.
I survived

Didnt say I didnt like the mans firearm. Just said when he turns it on in a tactical situation, it may become someone elses firearm.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Pard said:
Dont care whats "In" When I was in the jungle, it was far from being "In"
No one wins are war, you only survive.
The best way to survive is to NOT be seen. Day or night.
I survived

Didnt say I didnt like the mans firearm. Just said when he turns it on in a tactical situation, it may become someone elses firearm.
Soooo...way back in another lifetime, I had a job that simultaneously put me in two somewhat related, yet very distinct roles; that of law enforcement and ground combat. Many things crossover and one can learn from the other, however, there are of course, or at least should be, very different tactics, objectives, and so on.

An easy illustration is in the role of snipers. In general, a military sniper prefers long ranges and any solid torso shot is a hit. A law enforcement sniper prefers closer ranges and is focused on quarter-sized targets like brain stems.

In the case of the "tactical" home defense rifle, it again depends on the role the user sees it fitting. I think most folks who would choose a lever rifle for this purpose, and realistically (whether they realize it or not) those who choose an AR platform, are more focused (or should be) with close encounters, likely of the home invader kind. In such a scenario, a strong light is a very effective tool. Obviously it illuminates the subject but it can also have a psychological impact that induces surrender/flight without using force.

Now, on a battlefield, white lights have no place.

I absolutely agree with you in that light and simple should be the rule of the day in a home defense rifle. While I don't have any qualms with a light mounted on such a rifle, I do believe far too many folks over-accessorize their chosen platform for such purposes. For that matter, for the majority of folks, a rifle is probably a poor choice for the bulk of home defense duties.

All that said, I think folks ought to do what they want and what makes 'em happy.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
In a LE or home setting, positively identifying a target (aggressive intruder) is one of many steps in ensuring a reduced civil liability. White light is number one in that department.

Bright white light also has the additional benefit of blinding an opponent temporarily. I have a small Surefire LED G2, rated at 80 lumens. That is good for about a ten second incapcitation...I know because I tested it on my older brother. ;D

I plan on getting one of the newer 150-250 lumen gun lights for my project.

Jon

·
Registered
401 Posts
I understand and I agree with Pard to a point, if it was used as a hunting rifle, it would be branded as a tool of poaching ie no go, however seeing as the MAIN propuse of this rifle is home defense, and Eli's point does make allot more sense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm a big believer in lights on guns. (Even before it was cool to put them there). White lights have their place and time. The biggest reason to have them on guns is in building clearing. This also applies to subterranean areas such as tunnels and caves. In general ground combat, i.e. open areas like those found in Afghanistan and Iraq there is absolutely no reason not to use them when “sweeping” an objective.

The key in their use is knowing when to turn the light on, and when to have it off. A tape or pressure on/off switch is a must.

Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my home, I hesitate to use a light. Any home invader will need to slither his backlit self down a long hallway. The only light he's going to see is muzzle flash.

Whether it's a lever action, shotgun or handgun will just depend on my mood.....which won't be good if you have made it past my dogs to kick down my door.

To the origional poster; Light or no light, that's a nice rifle.

On a side note...Every time I utter the phrase "Tactical Levergun" I crack up. It invokes a mental image of a cowboy gun with tac rails galore and everything attached under the sun, including that tactical cappuccino maker. I think a lever gun, on it's own is a fine weapon....without any accessories.....except maybe night vision for hogs....but alas...not legal here in Cali.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
planeflyer21 said:
In a LE or home setting, positively identifying a target (aggressive intruder) is one of many steps in ensuring a reduced civil liability. White light is number one in that department.

Bright white light also has the additional benefit of blinding an opponent temporarily.
Pretty much, that sums it up, and ends the arguement.
Legally, you can't just run around shooting anything you hear. Nice way to kill your family and neighbors, as well.
You just gotta know what you are shooting at. If you do not, you should not own a gun.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts