Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my 300xtp that I filled with lead today into a large piece of wet cedar wood.
I fired 3 300xtp hp and 3 of my 304gr lead filled bullets and here,s the results. Steve ;D

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Wow, the XTP becomes a better bullet with it's hp filled. Thanks for posting, this is quite interesting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not just performance, it looks good too! :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
So other than being a little more work than the epoxy you used the first test, did these penetrate deeper and retain weight better with the lead ? How was the grouping any changes ?

Thanks for the testing

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer your questions, Pioneer no there has been no change in grouping or impact change,and duhawki647 the metal was straight wheel weights that I use for casting.
I only weighed one bullet and it was 289.grs and the hp were not worth weighing. I did learn somthing though, the softer the wood I used to shoot at the hp did not do so well, When I used harder wood such as larch the hp did better, the only thing I can think of is that the harder wood kept the bullet together and the softer wood let the pieces fliy all over the place I do not know if I am right or not, mabe someone can help me on this. Steve! ;D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for that, so you are saying the HP did not penetrate as deep in soft wood, but better in hardwood, this was not better than the filled bullet correct , just HP to HP did better in hard? How did you find the filled in both types of wood?

Mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mike, No I am not saying that the hp did not penetrate it did, but not all of it got there, where as the one,s I filled with lead stayed together a lot better.
My point to the tests was to find out if I filled the tip with lead would it stay together better than the hp and it dose seem too.
I am waiting for mt_sourdough to do some tests to see how things turn out. Steve! ;D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sounds great hard to believe we can do improvements at home so simply., don't forget to patent that lol. I am sure they have the HP to allow it to expand more, but I have never liked the idea of fragments throughout my meat. When you poured the lead into these did you make it level or crown it slightly ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The cleaned up ones look nice, funny how a bullet or rifle can be attractive, must be a little sick lol. Do you drill it out because you want to get more of the harder lead in? Could you just not top it off, or do you feel they would not bond together with so little added ?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Mike a little of both,the jb bonded good but the lead I felt might just peel off and defeat the purpose.
If I drilled anymore out I would have a cast bullet with a jacket, hmmmm that has got me thinking again. lol. My wife already say,s I have too much time on my hands, they just don,t understand the importance of a good bullet,lol. Steve! ;D

·
Super Moderator
15,874 Posts
Well just my $0.02, but 47 years of hunting deer, elk, and black bear, and 20+ years as a soldier and cop; hollow point bullets are only good for shooting two things; and that is.............
• Varmints
• People

For hunting the big game mentioned above I use...............
• JFP
• JSP
• Harcast Lead.

I've seen too many big game animals lost to hollow point ammunition. Even more sadly I have seen too many good people killed by shooting bad people with FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
262 Posts
How about the Swift A Frame hollow points. I thought they were supposed to be good. I've done OK with 45 cal Partition hollow points on deer.
Regards,
Duhawki

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hey Steve,
I tried to fill some XTPs, some A-frames, and some Noslers with led but I couldn't get the led to stay put. Perhaps you could tell us how you got the led to stick.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to drill a hole about 0.420" deep and then pour the lead in.
I have just finished 5 more with a 3/4" hole and a bigger drill about o.290 and filled with lead and finished them off in my lathe. Steve! ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts