Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a time in Marlin's history when they did not make sporting firearms. What model sporting firearms did they make then? I've got a couple & I know some of the rest of ya do, too! What models were made during this period? 8) SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
NebrHogger said:
There was a time in Marlin's history when they did not make sporting firearms. What model sporting firearms did they make then? 8) SW
You've lost me a bit here? They didn't make sporting firearms, but what sporting firearms did they make? Did you mean what "other" firearms did they make?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Are you talking about WWII era? In which case I believe Marlin made machine guns for the Army. H&R made M1 carbines. Don't know if you consider these sporting arms though.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I didn't phrase that properly. :oops: Jayhawker, you're on the right track.

The question would more properly have read: There was a time when Marlin was not in biz to make sporting firearms. Some were made during that time, though - what models are known from that limited production, and during what era did this occur? SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Are you talking about the models 36, 38 and 40 Marlin pumps, rollstamped with Marlin-Rockwell on the barrels? I believe there were as you say no sporting firearms made by them, but they did rollstamp and start selling these guns, (leftover from before WWI) and sold them towards the end of WWI.
I also believe the models 27 and 20 were sold during WWI, but from stocks made pre-war.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aha! Right you are! I have heard of a couple other extremely rare specimens - model 39 & 93, but have not actually seen either. I have an image in my mine of some shop foreman finding Marlin workers slacking off after completion of a run of, say, potato diggers and yelling at them to go put something together from parts on hand. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd guess you're on the right track with the idea of assembling parts! Especially with the number of guns assembled right after WWI with very early pre war parts! It's quite possible, if someone was waiting for the next batch of machineguns, or whatever, they might start on a lever or pump, especially towards the end of the War!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts