Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im going to be putting a peep sight on my gg. By im also going to be trying to develop a good unique load. Should I try the powder with my scope still on and then switch to the peep sight? If I do that I just need to get the best groups right, im not trying to get the scope sighted in to the new load. Im still fairly green when it comes to reloading so please bear with me and share your advice. Thanks Jesse

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
If you are good with the scope it may help you get your load sorted out with a clearer view. When testing, it's best to change one thing at a time. With the scope on while doing testing the only variable is the load. If you want to use the peep for load development you should get yourself tuned with it and your current ammo first.

My choice would be to work up the load with your current scope for expediency and lower variability, then switch to the peep.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought as well, but figured I would ask. There is a wealth of knowledge on this sight and most guys dont mind helping out.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That also works well for me cuz I have to wait for the peep to get shipped from the USA to Canada. So I have time to work on load development.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You are on the money. I have a scope set up on my 336 that I'm going to remove and put on my 1895 for load development as well. Peeps will get you in the kill zone but a scope will really shrink your groups, at least for my old eyes anyway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the unique shot ok but I kind of missed that friendly thump on the shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
How much Unique are using and what bullet?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
13-13.5 grains and a 405 rnfp hardcast out of my guide gun. There is almost to little recoil.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Nah, that's just right. If you shoot a deer with one of those fast bullets it blows right through it without the deer knowing what happened. The slow ones hurt so much they know to just lay down right there. :biggrin:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol I still gotta load some hotter ones. 41 grains of H4198 under same rnfp. Reminds me what a real gun feels like. I was surprised how little the felt recoil was using unique.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts