Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Falling in love with a pawnshop 336. Not sure of year but walnut stock with bullseye, gold trigger, and plate instead of pad. My question is regarding finish. How durable is Marlin finish?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hey bow, the Marlin finish is a spray on quick drying finish. It will start cracking a chip off later on down the road. Should this be a good Marlin then get it and refinish the stock, just make sure you seal all the inside surfaces as well as the outside surfaces, taek care, John.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go for it, Marlins don't deserve to live out their lives in pawn shops. That's where I rescued mine from.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I've always considered pawn shops a Orphanage for Guns and Marlins should be adopted first. :)

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I've adopted a number of Marlins from pawn shops myself. They were very grateful to be in their new home.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I doubt you'll wear it off any time soon.
Mine hold up very good. I had a stock finish taken down to some stain and bare wood. Hand rubbed several coats of true oil in it also .To achieve a soft appearing glow instead of a bright shine . But I've seen
& had a few newer ones that seemed like sand-paper would'nt cut it.! I had to hire some one that was hungry to strip my stock .I had a bad arm at the time. Took a long time to get it done.
....................Mutt.................

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly i had to pass on that 3030. I didn't pass on a 336 35 rem. Nice walnut,1970s gun. Looks in good shape. Hopefully pick it up next weekend. Had a butt pad installed at some point, but still looks okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts