Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the local pawn shops... originally looked at a 30TK, but passed when I noticed the bulge in the barrel :vollkommenauf:

Went to their other shop, about 10 miles away to look at a Revelation 200... couldn't talk them down off an unreasonable price, and then spotted the SC on the rack. They had it on the shelf for about 3 months, but didn't advertise it at all...

The details:
* serial # starts with an 'H'
* unmolested waffle top!!
* has an older williams FP sight added
* has williams sling swivels added, and NOT in the bullseye
* looks like it has EXC rifling... looked more like ballard type
* the stock has checkering on it (could this be original?????)
* has a pistol grip cap, with a bullseye
* BEAUTIFUL wood... some small scratches here & there
* very nice bluing on the metal
* The only BAD: someone installed a small compass on top of the stock, near the buttplate. Wasn't a deal breaker, because it doesn't get in the way.

I know this thread is nothing without pictures.... they will come soon!

The original price $500, talked them down to the mid- $300. How did i do? :biggrin:

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
You did well. The last two 35 Remington's I saw on Armslist.com were in the $500 range. That's what I paid for my 45-70 and I can actually buy ammo for it!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Most any Marlin as you described it, in .35Rem for mid $300 is a deal to me. The stock is an easy fix if you don't like it.:tee:

Reactions: Magnum6 and MW65

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Pretty darned good, I'd say given the way people are getting goofy over the older Marlins. Is the forearm checkered too? If so, it may be a factory DL (Although an "H" gun - 1951 - would not have a pistol grip cap). Pictures will sure help.Don't be bothered by the compass, a common add-on the 50's. F&S, Outdoor Life etc. always had ads for them back then.

Enjoy your new gun!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Pretty darned good, I'd say given the way people are getting goofy over the older Marlins. Is the forearm checkered too? If so, it may be a factory DL (Although an "H" gun - 1951 - would not have a pistol grip cap). Pictures will sure help.Don't be bothered by the compass, a common add-on the 50's. F&S, Outdoor Life etc. always had ads for them back then.

Enjoy your new gun!
I can usually find JM stamped Marlins priced below a new Remlin. Why would I pay more for a Remlin that is not as good as a JM stamped rifle?

It is possible that Remington will get their act together eventually. I have been seeing a little better quality on recent Remlins. But by the time they get squared away, I will have all the lever guns I need and possibly afford. They have a way of multiplying!

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That Williams sight is just icing on the cake, congrats.

Reactions: MW65

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Congrats on the rifle you gave a good price for it I say you did well!!!

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
35 Remington is an oldy but a goody. This cartridge was often recommended for moose by outdoor writers before WWII. Now of course, magnums rule the magazine articles but moose are no tougher than before. Good find!

TR

·
Registered
85 Posts
Excellent Rifle.
My compliments, sir!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That is one good looking custom checkering job, like the way the checkering continues on past the pistol grip cap.

·
Registered
661 Posts
That is a sweet rifle. Even if you don't know the origin of the checkering, it's very nicely done. I could certainly live with the compass, and the price you payed just makes it better.
Enjoy it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! I plan on using it on the coastal blacktails, and wouldn't hesitate to use it on black bear or elk over here. :tee:

35 Remington is an oldy but a goody. This cartridge was often recommended for moose by outdoor writers before WWII. Now of course, magnums rule the magazine articles but moose are no tougher than before. Good find!

TR

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It does look like someones favorite hunting rifle... I'm really happy with it so far & looking forward to many years of service out in the woods before I pass it on to the next generation.:tee:

Very nice example of a custom from yesteryear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts