Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm full of them today!
About an M-1 carbine, I was looking at one today as well. A marking on the rear sight as follows: I R Co., am I correct in assuming that this would mean Inland manufacture? gun has bayonet lug and is mostly complete, missing the magazine, oiler, and sling. There's about 8 rounds of ammo in a stripper clip with it. Possible mag is the there someplace, just not found yet......Buck 8) :roll: :?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Buck,

It could also mean Irwin Pederson which would make it scarce & valuable. Hatcher's Notebook discusses the reasons the I P contract was cancelled - had some kind of quality issues, IIRC. It's been quite a while since I've read up on the topic, but I seem to recall Inland Div of General Motors M1 carbines were plainly marked as such.

I was after a National Postal Meter M1 with a Marlin barrel for the longest time, but they have become a trifle expensive. Look at the markings with a magnifying glass - Irwin Pedersons are good property. SW

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hogger, In my BlueBook, the Pederson's are stated to be a civilian contract. I was thinking that meant for sale to public. Maybe I misunderstood that part. This marking is on the rear sight, would this be the correct place? There are no markings anywhere else that I could see other than caliber and model. Also there's some large numbers incised into the stock.
I'd have to look at that sight again to see if my myopic old eyes mistook the one letter for an R. If I read you right, an Inland should be marked Inland and not just initials? A program I saw said the Win. made ones are plainly marked Winchester, I believe, behind the rear sight. I'm just not up enough on those type guns to be totally sure what I'm looking at with so many manufactureer's involved.......Buck 8) :roll: :?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Buck,

On military M1s, the maker's name will be stamped on the receiver just behind the rear sight dovetail. With the early M1 flip peep sight, they are easily read. With the later, you really have to look if you are not sure of it. If there is nothing there such as National Postal Meter, Quality Hdwe, Saginaw Steering & Gear etc - it is most likely not a military M1 carbine. Also check the barrel just below the front sight for the maker & date. Lack of same will be another indicator of a made up piece.

Several years ago, there were some outfits like FedOrd in Cal that were re-welding cut receivers on these & Garands & selling put-together arms.

Again, it has been quite awhile since I was interested in these and freshly studied up on them, but I recall the Irwin Pedersens are worth a premium. SW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts