Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently gave my fatherinlaw my 38 and 99 jap-o rifles....he liked them so much, and it keeps him from crying ~ :p , anyway...i'm always interested in the "storys" these guns could tell, IF ONLY they could talk!!
then, cruzing the auctions this morning, a listed 99 jap-o:"WWII JAPANESE TYPE 99 RIFLE. MUM has been removed. My father took this rifle off a dead Japanese soldier on Guadalcanal in 1942. He was with the the 3rd Defense Battalion and was laying wire one night and stumbled across this dead soldier and releived him of his weapon. Also included is the bayonet with scabbard and an ammunition case with 6 full clips. Please contact me if you would like more information or images of bayonet or ammunition. The only "defect" is a small smudge of paint my mother got on the rifle one day when she was painting my bedrom - it should be very easy to remove. "
:?
if this was my rifle.....money wouldn't buy! how could he sell for a measly $350 this part of his family history? talk about Esau selling his birthright for some soup!!! :(

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
And the money wil probably go for trivial stuff - like beer. Something strikes me as a little fishy about the story though... If the soldier had taken it from a recently-deceased enemy, the mum would be intact. My information is that the mums were ground or defaced by chisel only at places where arms had been piled in large quantity. I used to have a greater interest in these, and I never saw a battlefield pick-up that had been ground. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
My first reaction too Hogger! I've not heard of war captured rifles having crests, or mums ground off. Something smells a bit here.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
agast!

why..the jap soilder ground before he died of coarse! like any good empirial soilder would do!!! aahahahahahahaaaa :roll:
yous' guys are right! i was so mad at his selling his fathers rifle......i missed it!
mine was ground mum.....but both had perfect bores..bob whines now that he can't find a bayonet for the 99.......so suppose i must get him one.... :wink:
i just wasn't impressed with the accuracy of them.....they were as good as most.....but the sweds and swiss out did em! :shock:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I guess if it has the ground mum, it might explain why it's maybe not so near and dear as his story would indicate? :shock:
I hear a lot of really great stories, when folks are selling guns. Some of them pretty far fetched, and those that aren't, are probably the true ones!
When I do hear of a good story from a seller, I usually ask them to write it up, and sign it, so I can keep it with the gun. So far, only two people have been willing to put it in writing, and the stories aren't that interesting. Still I like it, and it is the gun's history, which helps, as we know guns can't talk!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Say!! Now THERE is a good topic: BOGUS STORIES THAT ACCOMPANY A PROSPECTIVE SALE! :D

I was in dire need of an M1 Garand a few years ago as a rancher friend in Wyo said he would swap me a Colt SAA straight across for a nice M1. So I beat it to a small gun shop right here in town & he had one on the rack.

I looked it over closely & saw that it would do nicely. It was 575, though and I asked the guy if he had any room on the price. 'Why, that was brought back from Germany by an old veteran', he said!

'Are you extremely sure?' asked I.

'I know the man PERSONALLY!' The store guy solemnly assured me. He lives here in town!

'Well the guy lied his a** off when he fed you that line', I sez. ( Shop guy gets all indignant. ) 'I know for a FACT that M1 came back in a duffel bag!' he insisted. (I had enough of the farce by that time)

'Well, if that's true, how come it has a Century Arms import stamp under the barrel? And a Korean web sling? And a really high serial number? Dang, J***, if you didn't have any room on the price, you just could have come out & said so!'

Well, he got all mad & I left. I bought another Korean re-import for 450 a few days later in a shop several miles away. I still have the SAA and the rancher still has the Garand. SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
Kaintuck, I found a type 30 bayonet and scabbard behind the gunsafe a couple of weeks ago and sold it this weekend for 40.00! Wish't I'd known. See them a lot around here for some reason. I had 5 of them old type 38's in the building in various and assorted conditions. Feller t=stopped by here and asked to buy them all for 100.00 bucks and I said sure. Later learned about ground MUMS the hard way as all were not ground and all had full length barels and stocks. Recntly sold a ground type 99 with bayonet and perfect bore for 150.00! FWIW, moodyholler

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello

I stand to be corrected which has happened numerous times, but I never heard of the 3rd Defense Battalion being at Guadalcanal. If I remember correctly, the Marine 1st Division was there but if there was a 3rd Defense Battalion, I never heard of it. It might have been an Army unit that came in much later to relieve the Marines.

Again I could be wrong and if so I apologize. Just couldn't keep from giving an opinion.

DG

([/quote] He was with the the 3rd Defense Battalion ([/quote]

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Smoke,

I would go along with that. The Marines landed first & fought for quite awhile before reinforcements could land. I just watched a program on that topic on the history channel this week. 'Edsen's Ridge' (sp?) SW

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hogger

It's Edson's Ridge.

DG :D

NebrHogger said:
Smoke,

I would go along with that. The Marines landed first & fought for quite awhile before reinforcements could land. I just watched a program on that topic on the history channel this week. 'Edsen's Ridge' (sp?) SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Well here's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! (At least that's what the guy told me when I bought it.) :D
I was walking through a show many years ago, when I saw this '93 Marlin. Nice gun, with all the features of a typical short rifle; 20" round barrel, late S style buttplate, and in excellent condition. I thought the price of $350 was a good deal, even back then, but I still offered $300. The seller launches into his story about how this is a very early gun with a 3 digit serial number, and has been in his family since 1893!
Well I pointed out to him that there were no '93 Marlins around in 1893, and that the .30-30 wasn't around either! He insisted his story was correct, so I thought I'd give him a way out, and asked if it was possible his ancestor had had more than one Marlin, and maybe the other was the older one. He still insisted his was the gun, so I pointed out it had a barrel marked, "Marlin Firearms Corporation", and that company didn't exist until after WWI.
Still sticking to his story, I finally gave up on trying to convince him of his error, and just went back to negotiations. Got the price down a little, and walked off with the only '93 Marlin built in 1893! What a rare one! :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It kills me when someone makes up a story like that... when it is a good deal to begin with! Some folks just like to BS, I guess. SW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts