Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a sucker for DAM and Mitchell reels, I added this one, that was found at a local flea market for $12.
The original brown grease is inside and has turned to a waxy substance. There is a lot of sand and dirt in just about every nook and cranny. I believe that this is the first cleaning it has ever had.
Later, in the afternoon, I found another DAM at a garage sale. It’s a few years newer, but just as filthy. I got this one for $3.
It is amazing that these reels last as long as they have, even without proper maintenance.
The only new model reel I use now is a Pflueger. I do not expect this reel to give me the service these DAMs will.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Wow! Not many internal parts there makes for a reliable reel. Nice finds and thanks for posting.
I took apart my two speed reels for cleaning last Fall (saltwater rigs) and it was like a transmission, what a nightmare.
Timeless beauties you have. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
@alawrence - I have so much appreciation for these old classic fishing reels - the stories they could tell. Those are some good finds - plus the joy of restoring and cleaning and then using them......thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Have a couple DAM reels stashed away myself. Always been impressed with how smooth they are for their age. Even got the box with a 331N, in pretty decent shape. Don't recall what model the smaller one is.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a Mitchell, you go to 7 mile fair and look around at all?
I avoid the Seven mile Flea market like the plague.
The last time I was there, I felt like I was shopping in downtown Tijuana.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
16,035 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Know what you mean, I've been there once since growing up, use to back in the 60's be a great place....at least as a kid it was.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished up the 1960’s DAM Quick 220.
I had to use gasoline to clean the mechanicals. The old grease was very stubborn.
I used Penn precision reel grease and Remington gun oil on the moving parts. It’s nice and smooth now.
I will be filling the spool with 10 pound mono and hopefully will be trying it out this weekend.
Andrew

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
I just sold all my Mitchell, Zebco, Johnson, of my Real Reel Junkyard to a guy in Idaho of all places. I then put 21/2 garbage cans full of junk common reels out for Garbage Man. They knocked on door to be sure they were suppose to take them. Reduced to the Vintage Dealer parts kits for Pflueger & Shakespeare casting reels. Reduced junk reels from 22 tomato boxes to 1. Kept some oldies but goodies worth fixing up. A few DAMs.
****I have binders by manf of schematic & parts lists for major brands. They go about 20lbs on the hoof. They are headed for trash. Anyone wanting to pay ship on them is welcome to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts