Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to this forum I am buying a new 1895 and in my internet searching I have seen others recommending this forum so I thought I would give it a shot, I live in ohio and we just got some rifle calibers passed for deer hunting and the 45-70 is one of them, I have been a reloader for quite a few years for 44mag 22-250 9mm 7.5x55 swiss, and now will be loading for the 45-70 so I am searching for good reliable load data. thanks. M&M

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Welcome to the forum, plenty of info will be forth coming!

·
Banned
457 Posts
welcome to MO

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hello M&M,

I would suggest using any of the following recommended reference manuals:

Lees Reloading Manual
Lyman Reloading Manual
Hornady Reloading Manual.

We have many recommendation in the forum for 45/70 loads, but it's best to understand the standard loads in these manuals before venturing into custom loads. So one thing to remember when looking up the standard loads, slower is better to a point. The happy place is between 1160 fps and 1350 fps with a 350 - 400 gr bullet. The energy delivered by the Marlin 444, 45/70 is mass times the velocity.

So a bullet weighing say 400grs traveling at 1350 fps is delivering enough energy to take out the most dangerous game world wide. But, you must do your part in shot placement. So if you hit a cape buffalo between the horns where the pounding of rivle animals is done, your bullet may just bounce off. Then you have a pi$$ed off buffalo, that may not end well....:flute:

Have fun enjoy your new rifle and Welcome from South Carolina.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I currently have a hornady manual and a speer manual and there seems to be much variation in published data even tested in the same model of rifle. I am used to seeing some variation in some similar loads say like the 44 mag but they are usually still pretty close to each other and you can determine a safe middle ground so to speak. I wont exceede safe published loads but for the 45-70 published data for the same rifle seems to be all over the place. I know I may ruffle some feathers but for now I am considering loading 300 - 350 grn bullets since I will only be deer hunting with this rifle and the speer 300 grn hp #2482 is looking like a good possibility

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio. I also have a new to me 1895 in 45 70.

·
Super Moderator
16,613 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome aboard

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.