Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....
I've lurked here for a while and finally registered.
I have a 1980 Marlin 336 that I inherited from my grandfather upon his
passing some 5 years ago. From what my dad tells me my grandfather
only put 7 rounds through it but never got to hunt with it.
Problem is after those 7 rounds my grandfather and dad found out that
the sights were cocked slightly off center to the right as if the barrel
was overtightened to the reciever canting the sights to the right.
Since inheriting the rifle I had a 4x32 tasco pronghorn scope put on it
with weaver see through rings on it and zeroed the scope in at 100 yds.
My question is.....is there any way to correct the iron sights on this rifle?
any imput would be greatly welcome!
Later
Rob

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Where its dovetailed into the barrel.. you can lightly tap it the direction you want to move it.... They can come out if you move it too far to the right so be careful an make sure its still tight in there..

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
First, welcome aboard! You can have a lot of fun here and learn alot at the same time.

From your description I understand that the whole barrel is twisted to the right so that the sights sitting in the dovetail are not perched at 12 o'clock. They are sitting somewhere between 12 and 1 o'clock, correct?

If that is the case, tapping the rear sight may not be the solution to your problem. I would consider contacting Marlin via their website and inquiring about a factory repair. Marlin has a good reputation among most, not all, for excellent customer service and making things right.

You have a wonderful opportunity to fulfill your grandfather's dream of hunting, and taking game, with his rifle. Good luck with the fix and the "quest."

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
#1. Take it to a gunsmith and have him put on a set of Wiliams sights that need to be drilled and tapped to attach them to the bbl.

#2. Fill in the dovetails and have them recut.

#3. Have the bbl reset.

G

·
get a set of weaver rings and bases. Mount the scope at a more appropriate height and forget about the iron sights.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
See what I mean, Rob? Ask a question here and you'll get responses. Now it's up to you to sort 'em out.

I kinda like 6pt's idea except if the barrel is so cockeyed that it gives you vertigo even to look at it in the gun rack! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys...
Yes the sights are cocked somewhere between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock.
Just enough to throw your shots off to the right. Thats why I had the
scope and rings installed. I didn't have the money at the time to spend on
repairs so my dad and I figured out this easy fix. It shoots dead on at
100 yrds now. I think instead of going through all of that to fix it I may
well buy a weaver rail and new rings for it and remove the see-through
ones. Also seems like this little leaver action shoots best with 170 gr.
bullets but I am also very interested in the new Hornaday rounds
the Lever-Evoloution rounds.
Again thanks for the replies guys and for the welcome!
Take care
Rob

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
That will work .. I never liked see throughs.. either glass or not..

If you postive that the barrel is twisted,, you could have realigned . or if just maybe the front site is bent.. call Marlin and they will probably send you a new one..

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Depending on the size of the front bell of your scope and where it comes to when you put it in the lower mounts, you still may want to knock the rear sight out of the dovetail. I have two scoped leverguns: one worked just fine with the rear sight left in place, the other one needed the rear sight removed to get the eye-relief I needed. No big deal.

Remember to tap the sight from left to right (as you face the butt, looking toward the muzzle) to remove a sight from the dovetail. To re-install, tap in from right to left. You can fill the dovetail with a blank from MidwayUSA or Brownell's for just a few bucks. Or just leave it open.

When you commit to using a scope you really don't need the rear sight, anyway. In over 40 years of shooting I have never had an occasion to remove a scope because it broke, fogged up, etc. Just be sure to save the factory sight in a safe place in case you want to put it back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that the barrel is twisted....its as if when they joined the barrel with
the reciever it was over-torqued and it caused the sights to be cocked
over between 12 and 1 o'clock. They align perfectly....if you hold the
rifle with the stock cocked out to the right a smidge instead of
perpendicular up and down!
Seeings as I already have a scope on it (Tasco Pronghorn 4x32) i believe
i will stay with a scope on it will just replace the rings.
Thanks for all the imput guys.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Now that you have reposted as to the mechanics of the problem, it is easier to cure. If you are looking with the butt to your shoulder and the sights are between 12 and 1 it's not over torqued it needs to be either torqued more or where the bbl mates the action needs to be relieved. There is right handed threads on a 336 and it needs tightening. Most likely a quick job at your gunsmiths.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Rob, the advice you got to remove the see-through mounts is excellent. The problem with see-throughs is they place the scope too high. The 336 is really supposed to have lower mounted sights to take advantage of the quick handling, instinctive pointing characteristics of the rifle.

See-throughs place the scope far too high for the low comb of the 336 stock, and you gotta stick your head up like an ostrich to see through the scope. Poor cheek contact with the stock means the rifle really isn't pointing where you're looking. The main sighting equipment (scope) is compromised for an iron sight capability you don't need.

Rule of thumb: Mount 336 sights as low as possible. Low magnification and a wide field of view are most desirable. Many consider a 2.5X or a 1-4X ideal. The smaller and lower the scope, the better. The field of view of a 1-4X variable set at 1X is huge and much, much easier to hit with than any open notch iron sight. 4X is plenty of magnification for the longest shot you can take with a 336. Offset hammer spurs help with the lowest scope mounting-Marlin offers them.

I also second the idea that you should forget the iron sights if you want. Optimize the scope. But the iron sights are fixable should you want to go back to them.

·
Premium Member
10,999 Posts
Rob,
Re -Read Swany's last post here. He is right on the money in his diagnosis of your problem.
If you choose to return your gun , Marlin will reset your barrel and re-check the headspace on your rifle at no charge.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your going to go with a scope I would recomend Leupold's compact 2.5 fixed power. Not sure what they call it this year but you can find it on their web page. The tube is small 1" but if you leave "both" eyes open you can still aim (it has long eye relief) and you have as wide of vision as if your not looking through a scope. Almost like looking through a Red Dot type scope. Great for quick action!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Rob,

Welcome home aleast it will feel that way in time.

Listen to Tomray, he works for Marlin. I'm no expert but if the barrel is a little loose it can effect head space and could get worse over time.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep send it to Marlin and have it checked, reset and perfect..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Rob,

Gun Junkie is correct for once. :lol:

Both Tomray and Swany (THE MAN) have given you perfect advice. Take heed...and welcome to the best site on the web.

Dave 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts