Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Can't help myself the marlin monster has a hold on me, just added a new in box with box warrenty card and all the goodies a 24" oct barrel cowboy. Also looking at the 45/70 same fellow traded in it is an 1895 22" pistol grip. It looks cherry. Do any of you hunt with your 45 colt rifles? do you or can a person load up and shoot speer 265 gr bullets. I use to use them in my Ruger blk hawk in 45 colt. They also shot great out of my tc contender. Do you hunt deer bear etc with the colt round from the cowboy rifle ? I know it is a dumb question.
Dave

·
Registered
272 Posts
The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask..I hunt deer with my 45 Colt Marlin and have for several years..My Rifle was made in 1905..What you say??Yep.I had it rebored to 45 when we decided that it was no longer a 38-40 as stated on the barrel..The movie people had it bored to 44-40 specs so their reloaded 3in1 blanks doidn't have to be resized down to 38-40 but would taske the 44-40 blanks like their other guns..The big problem arose because you still had the .401 barrel to contend with.. Not much else could be done..modoc

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Dave, You'd be well advised that the Cowboy thing won't stop here. It starts with one and ends................it never ends!! I have hunted with 2 of mine, 45 and 30-30. I loaded a 300 grain cast propelled by H110 in the 45. It worked well. I took a bobcat and a whitetail buck.

Papalote

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys for the help I couldn't understand why Marlin Catalog
dosen't show the 45 colt as a hunting cart. Heck you and I both know it's not the cal but shot placement . Of course cal dose help depending on game hunted.Can you beleave it I guess I answered my own question.
Again thanks!
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts