Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Muzzleloader Round Two this morning, 4pt buck this time

I thought about adding this to the post: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/big-game/610181-finally-one-ml.html I made last night since so much of the basic information is the same but then I thought that maybe this guy deserved his own thread.

Also I'm getting way, way too much practice tracking deer.

This morning I was once again sitting in the Nest spot just like last night.

At right about 9am this buck comes out of the brush in the exact same place as the doe from the previous night, where I shot him was about 5ft from where I shot her. The only difference this time was that he was facing the opposite direction, as he came out of the flat creek area more or less in front of me instead of from down the hill behind me like the doe did. I think this was a good thing because as it turned out I ended up having to track him and since he was going the opposite way I didn't have to contend with two overlapping blood trails.

In any event I did not make as good a shot on the buck as I had the doe. It was a complete pass through but I was about an inch and a half to two inches too far back and I primarily caught the stomach and liver this time which meant he ran....and ran... and ran. Given where he was hit, I probably also started tracking him too soon which pushed him to run farther/faster.

Fortunately, and perhaps oddly, I had a good blood trail, bright red arterial, almost all of the time as opposed to the doe the night before or my fathers deer I helped him track back in early December. The only time I had issues with following it was when he crossed the two fields, I guess I was somewhat surprised that it was so much easier to follow in the leaves in the woods than in nearly bare fields.

Playing around with the map it looks like he traveled about 1000 yards all total starting at the top left, which doesn't count the topography which was at least a 200ft uphill elevation change and up and down through a few ravines. The path also included travel across our property, our neighbors property which we have permission on, and then when he hit the second field a second neighbors property which we didn't have permission for.

Everything turned out okay though, my father and I went and talked to the property owners and they allowed us to look for the deer on their property, while warning us to keep an eye out for the Bull that's in that field. When we found the deer they even got on their tractor and picked it up in the bucket and brought it back to the truck. While I tracked him most of the way, my father is the one that actually found him laying in the woods after crossing that second section of open field.

All told it took about 3.5hrs to track, get permission, and find him. I also don't have as good of pictures since we were trying to take care of him as quickly as possible given the time it took to locate him.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Congrats. Glad you were able to find him. You had a couple of good hunts right at the end.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. Glad you were able to find him. You had a couple of good hunts right at the end.
Thanks,

It was definitely a good 18hrs or so, I only regret not making a better shot on the buck but he did get found. I've lost a couple of deer in the past and it makes me sick.

My mother can't complain about not having enough venison in the freezer now :) .

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
So, you didn't hit that deer exactly where you wanted to? Glad I've never done that. :flute:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts