Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of you, I've been looking for a nice 39 for some time to add to the herd. A buddy growing up had an older 39A that was just a smooth cycling classic and I always enjoyed shooting it. I guess I just never ran across the right one at the right price and honestly some other rifle probably had my attention at the time.

After watching Wind's feats going up against the hoards of Peeps that occasionally invade Northern Washington, I began to think a nice Mountie would be just the thing.

As Wind put it -

Cleat and I have been up against it before. That is a Safari Grade Mountie and since we stepped up to the 40 grain bullet - we travel in confidence!

Well, I decided that "traveling in confidence" sounded good to me, so a nice Mountie edged up on the "to do" list. I stumbled across and fondled a nice Mountie at a decent price about a year ago at a local pawn shop. Decided to pass on it, but later and came to my senses and went back the next day to buy it and she was gone. Pretty sure Old Machinist did the same thing with that very Mountie as he haunts some of the same LGS's as me.

So, the search was on, even put out a wanted poster a year back or so, that I've now updated.

Captured_zps63784b49.jpg

Well, I'm home today taking care of my wife and spending TOO much time surfing the internets while she's sleeping. What's the old adage about idle hands . . . . guilty as charged.

Found one online at a price I just couldn't say no to. She's on layaway now, but hopefully I'll get her out of jail and home before the Peep season kicks off.

1956 39A Mountie. Looks like she'll be a great shooter.

These are the seller's photos -

1956Mountie_zpsbdb5488f.jpg

pix607225164_zpsbe007fe8.jpg

pix471814899_zps29f8a303.jpg

Now, the scope is not my style on a Levergun, but it is a Marlin scope - don't really know anything about them, but figure someone here at MO might be interested in it once I get her home and give the Marlin scope a good home.

1956MountieMarlinScope_zps3ea10404.jpg

I plan on replacing it with a nice receiver sight, just seems to be the right thing to do. I was impressed with the Skinner Peep on Rockridge's 39 at the WDRA shoot, a very cool set up. Might have to give that a shot or could always just go with a trusty Lyman.

Those Peeps won't know what hit them this season.

B

·
Premium Member
12,157 Posts
You did good and you will love shooting it. I have neglected my Golden Boy and pretty much all the other rimfires since I found my 39 Carbine. The Golden Boy I have is a fine rifle but does not hold a candle to the 39 Marlin.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Congrats on the apprehension.

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice looking rifle !
I'm sure it will serve you well .
Congrats & enjoy it !
Al

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Brian -- Very nifty rifle. No worries now for sure!! A small point that may be of interest - the fella I bought my Mountie from suggested it shot far more accurately with a "dirty" bore. That has proven to be the case!! You'll have some deciding to do on sights as well. The receiver sights are a joy, but I gotta say the Skinner Black Gold works like a champ too. You can kill or pin down a PEEP from zero to a hundred yards easily once you get a little trigger time on the rifle, and get a feel for the load.

View attachment 116113

Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ya done good Brian. That other mountie we looked at wasn't in nearly as good of shape. How much range will that Skinner give you assuming M.O.P (minute of peep) accuracy?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Nice find! We've been looking for a good Mountie for the collection, but very few and far between in our area. We did hit the jackpot, though, with a mint 39 Carbine. It wears the Skinner peep and a Skinner blade front and we don't hesitate to shoot it out to 50 yards. Right there with our 39A Marlins for accuracy. Tried the Williams FP, but just too big and bulky on this trim little lever gun. The Skinner is perfect, though. I'll be buried with this one.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice! One of these are on my list as well...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya done good Brian. That other mountie we looked at wasn't in nearly as good of shape. How much range will that Skinner give you assuming M.O.P (minute of peep) accuracy?

Not sure about minute of peep, but my Grandfather always said (regarding varmits) if you can see them, you can shoot them. :biggrin:

B

Reactions: old-machinist
1 - 11 of 11 Posts