Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have designed and built a drop in, no machining upgrade for the 10/22 that would allow you to shoot 17M2 once you install the proper barrel. This unit is entirely contained in the reciever -no weighted bolt handles, etc. I have shot the prototype and so far it's 100% reliable. Any thoughts? ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd be interested in how such a conversion works, and how it handles the pressure curve of the M-2 cartridge. Not sure how to ask this- definitely not a slag or a put down.... has any stress testing been done? Aluminum is weird stuff, and kinda unpredictable in the way it behaves when pushed. What I'm really after is how much has the proto-type been test fired?

My best guess at this would be a new heavier bolt and a new retturn spring, and probably a new stop pin/buffer... Am I warm?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
485 Posts
andrew it would sound alot better if it came with a decent barrel, combo deal & offer it plain for people that have pref on barrels.i have never bought a barrel for my 10/22t so they would need to offer sporter & bull barrel :) i like 1 stop shopping & a tested combo is hard to beat alot of times.mike243

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luisyamaha: Who knows? Not too much. Cheaper than an aftermarket trigger?

Doc: Aluminum may be weird stuff but if the bolt recoil energy is reduced to 22LR levels then there should be no problem, correct? It handles the "pressure curve" by making sure the cartridge stays longer in the chamber at peak pressure. That is why the weighted bolts come with kits from places like E.A.Brown. Your guesses are all off the mark, btw. How it works isn't important for the question I am asking. Yes. I have fired it. Seems to work as I'd planned. More testing is coming. of course.

Mike243: I see what you mean about 1 stop shopping but a barrel is fairly simple to obtain compaired to getting the 10/22 action not to crash using the M2 ammo. Obviously, I have a barrel on my gun. Any barrel for a 96/22 will drop into a 10/22 reciever. Find a good barrel manufacturer that makes 96/22 barrels chamberd for M2 and you will have your tube.

But truly, I'm not offering anything at this stage. I just finished 4 months in design and construction and I'm entering the testing phase. It is a long ("If ever" long...) way from the market. I just was interested in a yes or no vote for whether there was an interest. I think that the 17 M2's lime light has dimmed a bit.

Thanks guys ~Andrew

·
Registered
485 Posts
its not dimmed for me i want 1 i have a handi rifle in .17hmr & could buy a m2 barrel rather cheap but am intersted in a barrel swap with my ruger without have to buy this here that there in order for it to work properly,thats 1 reason i like my marlin7000 more than my ruger, reliability,no tweaking screws scrubing this spotless coarse i knew that was a part of owning a ruger & i do enjoy it anyways.hope it works out good for you & keep us in the loop,mike243

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Give that Andrew a coffee! I can't seem to come off as anything but abrasive these days, despite my best efforts to the contrary....

If your project works, I'd be interested as well. "entering the testing phase" and "I've fired it" pretty well sums it up. Good luck with the project!

There's a guy over on the Mossberg page at RFC that has a workable S/A in the M-2. He's been at it for well over a year, and has posted a lot of info....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doc: I didn't think you were abrasive. Hope I didnt' come back that way. When I attempt to answer multiple posts I tend to be abrupt. Otherwise I get off on track and forget what I wanted to say to the next fellow. My apologies if I seemed terse. Old age is creeping up on me. :(

This gunsmithing is just a hobby for me these days and most of what I do has zilch commercial value: I just do it for the problem solving aspect -like this Ruger /M2 thing, or building adjustable triggers for the 581 Remingtons. This M2 unit is the one gadget I've been playing with that might have a potential in a commercial light. I guess when I posted it under "market survey" I pegged it with too much serious intent. My bad. I was really just curious if anybody would shoot the M2 out of a Ruger 10/22 if there was a safe way to do so.

Mike: I have a pair of 17Mach2's and I rarely use them. I guess it has a lot to do with where you live. The open prairies I live on now make a 22 Hornet seem like too-little of a gun some times. If I was back East where I grew up I'd be using the M2, perhaps, for squirrels and such. Out here I have had little success with it. I must admit though, cracking them out of a semi-auto was beaucoup fun! ~Andrew

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Andrew, to answer your original question. I'm one of those that wouldn't be interested in such a device. Even if at relatively low cost. But I'm NOT the norm, I'm sure. We have no hunting down here in PR, other than shotgun for birds. So all my .22 shooting is at paper. Terminal ballistics are not that important to the paper and my Clark Custom Ruger 10/22 is very accurate. I wouldn't mess with it unless I absolutely had to. So, for all those reasons the M2 hasn't been of much interest to me. It is also more expensive than the .22LR and cleaning those tiny holes through the barrels must be a bitch.

Should I ever become interested in the M2 I'd probably either buy a dedicated rifle for it and/or get a barrel for my Contender Carbine.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and do keep us "in the loop" as to your results. I'm familiar with the "...just do it for the problem solving aspect..." as it is a rewarding , if sometimes un-economical, reason for doing things. Keep at it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
While I'm not a big fan of the 10/22 in general, it's hard to miss that people pour $ into them like it was a religion. Also while I'm not 100% convinced that the 17m2 is a "here to stay" round, I do see a fair amount of interest in the M2 and 10/22 conversions for that round on another popular board. Since allot of the popularity of the 10/22 is arguably based on the average Joe being able to customize it at a "reasonable" cost, I'd say pattent it quick and then test the waters ( over there) with a pre-production run. Best of luck Buddy!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comebacks. I don't know if I'll ever do anything with this other than to build one for myself and Marine PMI (Remember him from the old Marlin Talk??) It has been a fun project though. Lots of measuring and weighing and making up drawings. Still more fun to come as soon as I glom onto some more inexpensive M2. I've shot up all the stuff I had already. In the end I'll probably just end up with the satisfaction of having made it work.

Glad to see you still hang around WH. ~Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts