Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising the pawn and gun shops this afternoon and came across a JW-15 at one of the pawn shops. It's a standard gun and really unremarkable except for the fact that it was the filthiest rifle I have ever seen; even worse the old 22's in my shooting gallery days. The bolt was fused to the reciever with a grey sludge made of dust and powder residue. I could barely move the bolt! I don't think the gun was ever cleaned. I bought the rifle ($89) and dunked her clean after disassembling the bolt. The bore was actually leaded a little with makes me think that maybe the previous owner bought some of the Winchester"X-Pert" bulk rounds that came through with little to no lube on the bullets. I used a bore snake and about 6 pulls to get the tube clean. The rifle reassembled into a nice unit. I'll shoot it tomorrow.

The second find of the day was a Brno match rifle. It is in a biathalon-style stock and dated 1958. The rifle is mint and was marked from $599 down to $299 because the sights got misplaced. I wanted to shoot my wad on that one but the FBI background-check computers were bogged to a halt so I just put some $$ down and will pick it up next week when I go to the Big City again. I don't like 28" barrels but I have the feeling that this rifle will shoot like a house a fire. It is a single shot, of course. Man! Can't wait. ~Andrew

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey Andrew,
I saw a JW 15 new in the box on gunbroker or auctionarms. Better get after it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a jw-15 that i recently sold. It was one of the best shoot guns i have ever owned period. I really should have kept it. Oh well, $hit happens when you need the money!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed it does. If I had back the rifles I sold at need I'd be a happy man. Young families feed on lazy firearms!

I took that "piglet" JW out today. With a Simmons 2X on top it shot extremely well:As well as rifles costing 6 times as much. The top performers at 30 yards were CCI Velocitor, Aguila "SE" High Velocity HP, and Wolf Match. The Aguila round was top dog but the Velocitor will get the ride in the Jeep because I have a bit of it and the sheer power can't be matched by the Aguila round. The Aguila groups were about .25-.3 inches and the CCI about .4 inches. Nothing sacrificed there! ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up the BRNO target rifle on Saturday. I didn't really have a decent scope to mount on it so I used a Leupold 3-9 hunting scope. (Don't get me wrong! Great for big game, bad for punching pin-hole groups!) The rifle was amazing. Even in a brisk breeze I could put 3 or 4 of five into a single hole at 25M if I paid attention to the parallax, the wind, and didn't choke. Last night I mounted one of my Swift varmint scopes top so I can have some control on the parallax error. The weather is supposed to be calm today so I'll try for that one-holer.

There are few rifles I've owned that I can call truly "ammo capable" but I think this is one of them. I used Wolf Match, Aguila "SE" Hi Vel-HP, Velocitors, and Remington Target for the first outing. Accuracy was ranked as listed with little difference between the first two that I couldn't blame on the increasing wind velocity. Velocitor was great but for the odd flier I got. Otherwise it was right up there with the first two. The Remington didn't get a fair shake as the wind was pretty snappy by the time I got to try them.

Good rifle. Now....if I could just figure out what to use it for out here in the sticks... ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a Model 4 but in a ISU type off hand stock with adjustable cheek piece and buttplate. I shot it today with an A/O scope on top. At 25M I was shooting pin-holes with Wolf Match and the Aguila SE High Velocity Solid Point. Another great performer was the (WalMArt) Remington "Target" standard velocity.

I shot a bunch of sub-sonic ammo today and the Aguila HP and the PMC "Moderator" shot neck and neck with each other. No suprise there as they are both mde by Industrias Tecnos. They both delivered very small groups at 25M: between .15 and .2 inches. At 50 M I fired a 10 shot group with the Wolf that measured .3 inches. That was probably my best group of the day. Generally speaking, I just don't shoot well enough to utilize a rifle like this but I'm going to have fun trying if the weather cooperates. It was 38 and overcast this morning! The old fingers got numb feeding those rounds into the gun single-shot! ~Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts