Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a good day fishing with noodles. Nothing like just hanging out for them to start running. We try to do some fishing while waiting but can't ever get settled in without one starting to run. Fun, fun, fun!

YouTube noodle on the run here

Can't get enough of it.

1895gunner

·
Super Moderator
31,914 Posts
Nice!
I love fishing for cats in the winter time down here in south Louisiana!
We only meet up with other people doing the same and we compare the size and have a good laugh!
Thanks for the pictures!

cajun56

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Gunner,
What is your choice of baits for those cats? Also, I am familiar with the taste of smaller cats, but I do not know how tasty the bigger ones are.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gunner,
What is your choice of baits for those cats? Also, I am familiar with the taste of smaller cats, but I do not know how tasty the bigger ones are.

Andrew
Baiting the noodles I just use cut bait (bluegill). The cats we've been catching aren't too big so they taste great. We've been getting 24" average length filets however we cut em up into much smaller pieces for frying. I've tried punch bait, stink bait, etc and they seem to love the cut bait.

Going trout fishing in Blue Ridge, GA in the AM for something different. Like to get up there every few weeks. This retirement is spoiling me.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Gunner. Are those channels, flatheads or small blues?

Andrew
Good question Andrew - these are channel cats. In a couple weeks I'll be fishing the Coosa River for blues. I hear they get huge on that river. Gunna need longer string, heavier weights and bigger hooks. Still going to tackle it out of our kayaks.

1895gunner

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Scott.....loving your fishing threads,please keep them going.

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That's cool Scott, I was just introduced to cat fishing with noodles this week, it was a lot of fun. We were in a boat , but the guy I was with wants to try a kayak. So in the next week or so I'll introduce him to kayak fishing.

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How is that Pescador Pro treating you?
Hey Travis - the wife and I are really liking them on the lake and river/creek running. We don't do over class III anyway. To be honest I'd like a pedal powered one even better for the lakes and Pereception is coming out with one in January for $1,700 - cheapest one available I think but too rich for my blood. I'll stick with the paddle. The model has worked really good for fishing in a mid range priced fishing yak - just added a fore & aft anchor system the other day and very happy with that. Can't remember which yak you are using now for fishing. What is it and how do you like it?

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Early Friday morning my BIL and I headed out to lake Carroll again for some noodling and fishin. It was miniature fish day all day long - strangest day I've ever had. Here was my prize catfish for the day.

Watching noodles to no avail.

and my BIL " Skeeter" on his yak.

Headed out by the island to try for some early morning bass. Caught one no bigger than my tackle.

All in all another great day kayak fishing. First time we got skunked on the noodles but my fishing app only called for one star out of five so knew it wouldn't be great.

Keep your line wet.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OBTW, forgot to mention that the BIL and I went up to Blue Ridge, GA Wednesday for some trout fishing. I was too busy to take pics but we had a great time fishing the Toccoa river. Neither one of us own waders so we just wear boat shoes and swimsuits to wade. Cold water but you forget after you get numb..... We heard the dam warning horns go off (dam was about 1/2 mile from us) so we started to get out of the river when it started rushing & rising. First time to experience this. We cleaned the trout that we caught then drove 12 miles down stream to try another park on the same river. Got there and the water was still down - we were baffled.

We continued to fish for over three hours there and then here came the water rushing and rising - strangest thing I ever saw. It was hard to believe it took that long, almost four hours to travel 12 miles.

Anyway, had a great time (wish I took pictures) and we came home with a gallon baggie filled to the top with trout filets. they aren't huge trout but they were like this one that I caught previously in same place.

1895gunner

·
Super Moderator
13,256 Posts
Hey Travis - the wife and I are really liking them on the lake and river/creek running. We don't do over class III anyway. To be honest I'd like a pedal powered one even better for the lakes and Pereception is coming out with one in January for $1,700 - cheapest one available I think but too rich for my blood. I'll stick with the paddle. The model has worked really good for fishing in a mid range priced fishing yak - just added a fore & aft anchor system the other day and very happy with that. Can't remember which yak you are using now for fishing. What is it and how do you like it?

1895gunner
I swap yaks like I swap underwear. Right now I'm in a 2013 Jackson Cuda 14, but I'm probably going to be in a solo skiff before it's all over with. It's pretty nice, has decent stability. I'm not really a "stand up" kind of guy, and usually will opt for a paddle board if I need to do that. The seat is comfortable but I like to crab walk the marsh when hunting tailing reds, and even in the low position it's hard to do that. Plenty of storage room, and I like the fact that next to my paddle parks on the gunwales I also have "rod parks" to strap my rods down when on the move thru rough waters or going under low bridges. Over all I'm pretty satisfied with it. I wish it was a little faster, but it's still a 14 foot boat, so it's going to be fast regardless. I'm just still used to paddling WS Tarpon 140's and 160's.
13432239_10209635247539267_7376616824245142784_n.jpg

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been fishing in a hundred years - can you explain the "noodles" part?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Noodles are the foam floats kids use in the pool. He is tying a short line to the floats then sitting back and watching them drift. Kind of like jug fishing except the noodle gives him a nice place to sink the hook when he winds them back up. You can get several rigs out of one noodle. For night fishing, you wrap one end with reflective tape and tie the line towards the opposite end, fish will "raise the flag". I like to carry a small rope for lassoing the float. It is easier on my hands and some times you might have something more toothy than catfish.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's especially fun from a kayak. Some of the catfish take you for a good ride before you get them in the boat. Our noodle setup is a line about 15' long so when you start pulling on the noodle with a big cat hooked they run the other way - fast. Noodles in this case being used like jug fishing..

1895gunner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts