Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I seat my 444 gas checks with a lee sizer, I notice there is different resistance while pushing them through sizer. I realize that is because of the size of my cast bullets. My question would be, are some of the gas checks better seated to the base of the bullets? Flatter? When the powder is ignited will that push the gas check perfectly flat to base of bullet? Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a step shank on mine that allows the GC to literally snap in place before I size it. I snap it on and then set it on the bench to see if the boolit is sitting straight. If so, it goes through the sizer. If not, I work out the problem. The base of the boolit is far more critical to accuracy than the nose, so it is worth spending some time on this step. I will say that most of the time, the resistance of the sizer allows the plunger to properly seat the GC.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good afternoon
Before applying GC take that half second to look at the bullet base and be sure there is no lead imperfections that would cause the GC not to seat square.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
rooterpig,
Tests have been done with gas checked cast bullets to see if the gas check stays on and if not, at what point does it come off. Results
varied, but the common theme was it should either stay on until impact or come off after exiting barrel. If it comes off, it should come off
all the time to maintain accuracy. Same with staying on. The thing that really wrecked the accuracy was if some stayed on and some fell off. I have not done any serious testing with my GC'd bullets but accuracy has always been good. My recovered GC'd bullets never had
a gas check still on and no GC was ever found in or around the recovered GC'd bullet from my back stop.
358 Win

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
rooterpig,
You are very welcome brother.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts