Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local shows are never anything to get excited about, but I still go to them anyway. The only two 39A's were at the same table. One was an '81 model with refinished stocks for $600. The other was a mid-50's drilled and tapped for the barrel scope mount, but unfortunately, the stocks were refinished as well. And not very well. Too much gap between wood and receiver. Priced at $550. The only Marlin that got my attention was a Model 60 (8087) Longhorn Commemorative. He had it priced at $150, but said he would take less. I didn't ask how much. I did leave with a bag of sugar roasted pecans.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It has been quite a spell since I've darkened the doors myself.

Tim

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
I like going.

It's fun.

Waste of entry fee maybe, fun none the less.

Small shows are the only ones to attend IMO. Large ones cost more in fuel, time, and entry fee and have the same stuff PLUS a bunch of tacticool garbage and a higher percentage of bejewelled women's flip flops, weirdo candles, tooled leather purses, and beef jerky.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
The last couple I've been to have been good. I'm glad the silver craze is over, took up all the tables at the gun shows a couple years ago. Now if the black gun craze will end, and we can get back to some beautiful wood.
You, me = same page.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Quit going two years ago, all the deals are gone, and its far to commerical for Me now

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We only have a couple gun shows a year and waiting for 4 hours in line isn't much fun.
Prices are usually stupid high as well.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
our local shows are never anything to get excited about, but i still go to them anyway. The only two 39a's were at the same table. One was an '81 model with refinished stocks for $600. The other was a mid-50's drilled and tapped for the barrel scope mount, but unfortunately, the stocks were refinished as well. And not very well. Too much gap between wood and receiver. Priced at $550. The only marlin that got my attention was a model 60 (8087) longhorn commemorative. He had it priced at $150, but said he would take less. I didn't ask how much. I did leave with a bag of sugar roasted pecans.
those pecans get me every time

·
Registered
183 Posts
Went to local show saturday looking for powder,struck out.found one vendor with 5 lb jugs of trail boss.walked away $195.00 to much for me. buddy did find a 12ga pump at a good price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're old enough to remember gun shows before the ATF allowed dealers to sell away from their license address, then anything you attend today will be a disappointment. Shows were originally guys like us - there to fill a hole in their collection or sell a double of something they had, and you could always settle a deal with the flip of a coin. Shows today, at least in our area, are 80% retail dealers. That's probably OK for the novice looking for a modern plastic gun they saw on TV, but it's made the shows so unappealing for the rest of us. About the only buying I do takes place walking down the line outside. I think the last three Marlins I've scored around shows were done outside.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The place that holds the gun shows in town has even banned signs that say the seller wants to sell.
No selling in line basically.
They have people who enforce this and boot you off the property if they catch you.
Signs are posted saying no private sales.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I love to go. Even if I do not find anything. I still enjoy looking and I have known many of the Vendors for years. So just going to shoot the breeze is worth it to me.

There are still bargains out there..You just have to be there at the right time and place, just like anything else..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I attend about 8 to 10 a year with a table full of antique guns and accoutrements, I really like the antique only shows it's like a museum that you can buy the stuff. If you search and haggle there are still good deals to be made. On the other hand, at the last show I was at there was a beautiful model 39 ( no a) in 95 plus condition, bright case hardening nice wood, just perfect. When asked how much, cha ching 4,000. So I did not bring that one home. Definatly not a shooters market on that table.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I did find primers at the last gun show. Think that was in Oct. 35 a thousand cheaper than LGS. No powder. 10 bucks to get in but free if you renew your NRA membership. Good deal if you are going to renew or join up.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I haven't been able to find any real nice condition or acceptable prices on the Marlins I like around here at gun shows. The ones I do find have been refinished in such shoddy ways it makes me sad for the rifle. Of course the dealers still want collector grade prices for these poor Frankenstien redo's! I do always learn something new from looking and visiting with folks there though. It's a shame some shows aren't allowing folks to bring items to sell or trade on thier own. I guess it's turning into a dealers world everywhere. I haven't went to the big Springtime Tulsa gun show for a couple years since it seemed to be mainly packed with black plastic gun people going crazy over anything they could get their hands on! I'm thinking about giving it another shot this spring to see if it's a little bit better. Who knows...maybe I'll run into some fellow Marlin Owners Forum members there! Sure hope they have roasted cinnamon pecans for sale too! Mmmmm...

Reactions: kybeagle

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
A9mmfan - If your jerky making skills are anywhere near your leather working skills you can make good jerky. Last gun show jerky I bought gave me "the trots" in about 15 minutes after I tried to eat a piece. Shenandoah

1 - 20 of 32 Posts