Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes, I liked the other one a lot more. It was in better shape, and the barrel wasn't cut down.
I see this seller has decided the .22 is rarer than the .32? Not sure where these guys get their info. There were over 12,000 made in .22 and over 6,000 in .32. Additionally, the .22 is much more commonly found as a deluxe rifle, where .32 deluxe rifles are extremely rare!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In all fairness, this one is pretty nice. I requested more info and the seller sent pictures. Lots of case color, wood appears excellent with strong checkering. I love the half octagon barrel. I'd post but I don't know how :oops:

I like Wilburn's better because I am more confident it is all original. Even the sights are original.

This gun aside from being cut down (I hope there was a great reason for that capital offense) is a possible restoration.

I do agree the 22rf is more scarce in spite of the 2 to 1 ratio. It seems to me that shooters/collectors gobble up the 22rf faster than the 32s which seem to come up for sale more often. But my Marlin radar is not as finely tuned as it should be :(

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You mentioned lots of case color? Is this by chance a case colored receiver 1891? If so, and assuming it is original, a case colored receiver on a model 1891 was a special order, and extremely rare! Still not worth the inflated price, but rare anyway!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does have the case color receiver. I don't know if it's original (that's the problem) but it is nice.

Any suggestions on what to look for in blue or case color to determine if it's a refinish?

A lot of reblues are obvious but there are some nice ones out there that are tough to tell.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hard to say what to look for on a refinished gun, if it's done right. If the case colors look like new, but the wood and bluing look anything less, it's probably been redone. As you might know, case colors are the first thing to show wear, so the other parts can look pretty nice, and still have 50% case colors.
I'd like to see the better pictures if you didn't mind emailing them. I'm not interested at the price, but I'm interested just out of curiosity. I've only seen 3 case colored 1891's in my time.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
After seeing the great pictures Vrmntcllr sent, this gun is way overpriced! Non factory casehardening, non factory checkering, and a cut down barrel! I feel sorry for anyone who buys this gun, even if it was 1/4 the price!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts