Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I seen this at auction the other day and I just couldn't afford to NOT to buy it. It's in 22 LR with a 6 inch barrel.
Out of all the Colt Snakes, the Diamond Back has been my favorite. The 6" in both 38 special and 22LR are both outstanding. I hope it did not hurt too much on the $$ end. Good find and good to know she is in good hands.

Just think, in '74 you could have had how many for what they go for today? All the Snakes.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Nothing like the Diamondback and Python. Nothing like the prices they're going for these days either. Nice score.

My first handgun was a blued, 4" Diamondback in .38 Special. Bought it off a guy that also had (but not for sale) a blued, 8" Python Target in .38 Special.

A big regret was selling it (it's one reason I don't sell guns once I have them...no matter what it is) a few months later for what I paid for it; to buy a blued 6" Python. The gun in the box turned out to be nickel plated. I took it anyway.

I still know where the Diamondback is hidden. The owner will be looking at having to pay for college tuition soon. I'm ready to pounce.

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Beautiful D'Back............the 6" 22LR seems to be most popular with collectors, while the 4" 38 SPL seems to be most common.

'I've owned a 38 SPL and a 22 LR, both 4" models, for decades. They both are superb on the Target Line, and their weight and compact size makes for comfortable carry in the field...........

You hit a Home Run with that one !..............

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the compliments. The Diamondback is my favorite of the snake guns. I already have the 22 lr and 38 special in the 4 inch versions along with a 38 in 2 1/2 inch version. This 22 with 6 inch barrel was the most difficult to find at a sane price. Now, after I save up some more money I will be in search of a 2 1/2 inch in 22 lr and a 38 with 6 inch barrel. Then I can be done. I just don't have the scratch to start collecting the Pythons.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Nice pistol. Back when Dback was first out I bought a 38-4". I'm thinking it was less than $200 back then, a series 70 1911 was $100 at the time. When we shot it my old man fell in love with it and a couple days later he bought a 22-6". They were about the perfect size, bigger than S&W J and a little smaller than a K.

I ruined that 4" 38 with hot loaded ammo in one summer. I had GS tighten it up and offed it. Then my old man a few years later traded the 22 Dback on another 4"-38. The 22 shot right with our K22s. I never did buy any more Dbacks new.

Over the years got several 4" guns on trade, never got another 6" and never had a stub nose. One of the few Colts I like. I had Pythons back then but prefer S&W m27 in 357. I don't remember what Python cost but a 27 was right at $200 and I think Python was a tad more. I know where my 4" Python is at. Like new in the box and probably less than 2 boxes through it. Not for sale and guy knows what it's worth. I traded it to him for a Pre 64 m70 30/06 and figured I made out at the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.