Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought two Charter Arms .22 magnum Pathfinder revolvers. I had so many issues I kept sending them back and the fourth time they quit answering my emails and wouldn't sent me a return label so I went to an FFL dealer and shipped them back on my own dime. I got a call from Nick Ecker the President of C.A. and he said "Their no good". (And I am quoting.) They kept my two revolvers and instead sent me a 2" .32 H&R Magnum Undercoverette. I managed to find ammo after a LONG search and today I went to the range. After the first 5 shots the Ejector rod was stuck badly. I managed to get the empty's out and tried again. After the 10th shot the ejector worked but the cylinder came loose. I pushed it back up and reloaded. Aftter the 15th round the Ejector rod was hopelessly stuck. I was afraid I'd damage the gun if I tried anything further. So it is in the box and I have written Mr. Ecker again and asked for a return label. So far, with the price of the original two guns plus my own shipping costs, I have about $680.00 in them and have nothing to show for it. Take it for what it is worth. I'm hosed and there isn't much I can do about it. Beware of these "quality" American made firearms.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your bad experience with CA. How about a lot of MO. members write E-mails to this Ecker guy and tell him we don't like the way you were treated and his bad rep and the poor quality of his handguns is spreading rapidly?

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Michael:

I urge you to contact the Attorney General in the State where CA has their home office. You don't have to be hosed. There are laws on the books that specify fitness of purpose for taking your money and not giving you a working product. If you want to get their attention, go to the top of the legal chain in their state and demand action.

Sending emails from members here is about as effective as contacting the Better Business Bureau. :(

Sorry to hear you got the shaft, but "God helps those who help themselves". Don't sit back and stand for their bad products while taking your money. If you give them enough grief they may figure out its not worth the hassle.

Mike T.

Reactions: zuikowarrior

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I bought a NIB Charter .44 Bulldog late last year. While shooting it for the first time, I noticed the forcing cone had cracked and a small chip was missing after less than 20 rounds (bad), no doubt caused by a misalligned cylinder (bad).

A call to CA got a quick e-mail containing a return shipping label. Less than two weeks later, I received the revolver back with a new barrel installed (good) and a properly indexing cylinder (good)...and the action full of so much grit I had to disassemble and clean before testing (bad).

100 rounds later the gun continues to function fine...so far, so good. The fit and finish is as far removed from my beloved Smiths as can be, although the action is not half bad, smoother and lighter than I expected. It is what it is...an inexpensive, light weight, big bore, that I'm not afraid to toss in the rack box on my ATV.

Would I buy another? Probably not. It remains only the third new handgun, of many, I've ever had to send back for repair. Interestingly, the others were a Walther and a Colt...not exactly cheap or low quality firearms.

Roe

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry to hear your misfortune, yet another tale of the decline of American made quality. Sad times..

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
I just sent an older 44spl in for the second time....after 10 rds the cylnder locks up....sent it in the first time...10rds..locked up...took it to a local smith...10rds locked up...just sent it back to charter....locked up....am at my wits end...of course that is a short trip...:biggrin:..

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Michael:

I urge you to contact the Attorney General in the State where CA has their home office. You don't have to be hosed. There are laws on the books that specify fitness of purpose for taking your money and not giving you a working product. If you want to get their attention, go to the top of the legal chain in their state and demand action.

Sending emails from members here is about as effective as contacting the Better Business Bureau. :(

Sorry to hear you got the shaft, but "God helps those who help themselves". Don't sit back and stand for their bad products while taking your money. If you give them enough grief they may figure out its not worth the hassle.

Mike T.
And I filed a complaint with the BBB also... :-(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a NIB Charter .44 Bulldog late last year. While shooting it for the first time, I noticed the forcing cone had cracked and a small chip was missing after less than 20 rounds (bad), no doubt caused by a misalligned cylinder (bad).

A call to CA got a quick e-mail containing a return shipping label. Less than two weeks later, I received the revolver back with a new barrel installed (good) and a properly indexing cylinder (good)...and the action full of so much grit I had to disassemble and clean before testing (bad).

100 rounds later the gun continues to function fine...so far, so good. The fit and finish is as far removed from my beloved Smiths as can be, although the action is not half bad, smoother and lighter than I expected. It is what it is...an inexpensive, light weight, big bore, that I'm not afraid to toss in the rack box on my ATV.

Would I buy another? Probably not...but not because of this issue. It remains only the third new handgun, of many, I've ever had to send back for repair. Interestingly, the others were a Walther and a Colt...not exactly cheap or low quality firearms.

Roe
My brother bought a Bulldog. Had to send it back twice. Has not shot it since they sent it back. He was with me when I shot mine. Now he is worried... Really worried..

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
With Charter Arms you have to look for the older models. I bought a 38 Undercover back in the 80's. I have probably put more than 3000 rounds through it. +P, target loads, etc. It is my EDC, work, going to the barn, it is either in my back pocket or in the truck. I also had a 44 special that shot better than I could and I sold it. Wish I had it back. If you look for the old ones check the barrel. They will show they were made in either Stratford CT or Bridgeport, CT. Stainless is nice but I would not buy a new Charter today. Just my .02

Bill in E. TN

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
My Charter Arms experience has been short and not good. I always wanted a 44 Special, so I ordered a bulldog. While inspecting it with my dealer we noticed that the cylinder rotated back about an 1/8 of an inch after cocking the hammer. It did this every time! Each chamber wasn't remotely in line with the forcing cone. He sent it back to the distributor and I bought a S&W 642 instead. Quite a shame because they have a nice product line up and they're made in the USA, but the quality just isn't there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had a call from Nick Ecker. I had emailed him and told him I had filed a complaint with the BBB. He asked if the revolver was shipped yet. I told him it was being sent out today and he told me when it arrived he would send a check and we would part ways. I agreed that I would be happy with that. Now what amount they will sent is unknown. I paid $330.00 for each of them. I will let you know what happens. It may take a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Yep, please keep us posted.

I suggested that the Attorney General's office because the AG in every state keeps track of complaints their office receives. If they get enough complaints, they contact the company and let the know they have received complaints and want the complaints rectified. Ligitimate companies don't want the AG on their case and usually comply.

I'm in the process of filing a complaint with the PUC (Public Utility Commission) about our American Legion's electric power bills. First Energy owns our power company, West Penn Power, and has been ignoring our instructions as to electricity contracts, our rate, and have even charged us Sales Tax, we are a non profit organization and they have the exemption form. When I called them and told them we wanted our money back for the Sales Tax they charged our Legion, they told me to "contact the PA Dept of Revenue". I can't repeat what I told them on this website, because its a family based Forum. So the next step is sticking the PUC on them. By law, they have to respond to all PUC complaints.

A few years ago I had a problem with Verizon and the lousy DSL service, or lack of a reliable network. The only thing I could depend on was getting a bill from them every month. So I filed a complaint with the FCC, A couple weeks later I got a call from Verizon's "Consumer Advocate" in Philadelphia and he gave me every thing I asked the FCC to have taken care of, a refund for services I was charged and did not receive, and deleting an "early cancellation fee" they tired to stick me with when I told them where they could put the DSL.

The bottom line is, never stop with the "decisions" that a company that hosed you. That's the beginning of where you start trouble for them. If your attitude is like a dog with a bone, it will become obvious that its not worth their trouble. I can't say that every complaint will get you all your money back, but if you do nothing, then the jerks that took your money win. That never sits well with me.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I would by another Taurus before I ever spent money on a CA. I've owned two different M-85's over the years and they were good little snubbies.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
No plans to buy a Charter Arms, but I inherited a 60's vintage 38 undercover that seems like a nice gun. I carry it in my pocket from time to time. I doubt i'd buy one with the option of nicer guns out there but for what it is I doubt I'll ever replace it

·
Registered
919 Posts
I hate to say it but this is why I love my Smith&Wessons never have had one problem with them not that you can't but I have not They cost more but you get what you pay for with them. Good Luck Widow

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate to say it but this is why I love my Smith&Wessons never have had one problem with them not that you can't but I have not They cost more but you get what you pay for with them. Good Luck Widow
I used to always argue against buying higher priced guns. But over the years I have learned the HARD WAY that I am better off buying quality over cheap. I just had to save a bit longer. These Charter Arms were initially an impulse buy. Who doesn't want a couple of fun .22 revolvers? It really bit me in the butt. I own a lot of brands. (Ruger, S&W, Savage, Henry) I love them. I even had really good luck with Taurus M-85 snubbies. But my Charter Arms experience has really shocked me. I wonder how they stay in business? We will see how they honor their promise.. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received a response from the BBB. It is true, they did send me a return label which I was thankful for. However they are now saying that I still have one of the .22 revolvers in my possession which is not true. I wrote and told them that. They also make it seem like I sent them in only twice which was also not the case. I smell a shaft job in the making. Oh well. Nothing new... I'll wait and see what happens..

To Whom it May Concern:

I am a little confused by Mr. Kinney's statement to you saying he had not had a response from us at Charter Arms. I emailed Mr Kinney this morning with a FedEx return label, sent at 10:41 am. I emailed Mr Kinney to let him know the label was on its way at 10:45. Two revolvers were sent to us on 2-13-13 through Chosin Firearms. One was returned to them on 2/20/13 and one on 2/27/13. On 8-1-13 we received one revolver in, again from Chosin Firearms. We replaced that one with a new revolver under our lifetime warranty. We are waiting for the revolver to come back to us for assessment. Nick Ecker also spoke with Mr Kinney today and agreed we will send a refund for the revolver as Mr. Kinney has remained disappointed with our product.

Charter Arms currently enjoys an A+ rating with the BBB. It is unfortunate we have been unable to resolve the issues with Mr. Kinney as we always seek to have satisfied Customers.

Sincerely,

Diane B Ecker
Customer Service Manager

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have owned two CA revolvers; both are Target Patriots in 327 Federal Magnum. I bought the first one in 2009, it was the only 327 on the market with a barrel longer than 3" and only one with adjustable sights. Good gun, digested several thousand hand loads of rather warm performance levels. When the different companies started dropping production of 327 guns I located another new CA Target Patriot just to have, and I got a used Taurus 327. All of these have proven to be good guns, I sold the first CA to a friend that wanted a 327 after they were out of production. Both of my CA revolvers have proven to be good guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.