Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow really. So it is 1943. You know your stuff. So far the coolest one was the 30 army, pre 38. But from WWII is getting back there. I`ll tumble it and put it with my little collection. Someone must have missed picking it up. What do you suppose the red around the primer is?

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
wow really. So it is 1943. You know your stuff. So far the coolest one was the 30 army, pre 38. But from WWII is getting back there. I`ll tumble it and put it with my little collection. Someone must have missed picking it up. What do you suppose the red around the primer is?

The red around the primer is a sealant.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
One is dimple crimped and one is ring crimped... The ring crimped one would require swaging or reaming to seat a new primer... This is where your universal decapper comes in handy because resizing and pushing out a ring crimped primer at the same time can be kinda rough... Good thing you have a Rock Chuker...

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
Oh... And make sure they aren't Berden primer pockets... Look down the neck and see if they have 1 centered primer hole or 2 smaller side by side primer holes... 2 side by side, don't even try... I broke a decapping pin even though I knew to look at military brass before putting it in the decapper...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh... And make sure they aren't Berden primer pockets... Look down the neck and see if they have 1 centered primer hole or 2 smaller side by side primer holes... 2 side by side, don't even try... I broke a decapping pin even though I knew to look at military brass before putting it in the decapper...
Looks like its just one hole down in there.

Not that i dont think the mighty RC do it, I`ll just leave it alone and polish it as is. I find all this case stuff really interesting. Amazing how much everyone knows. That primer is smaller. That older case has a lrg.
Wood

·
Premium Member
18,178 Posts
Does the neck/opening look normal? It might be a blank round, used for funerals and special events. They would put five or six grains of Bullseye in the case and insert a red cardboard wad at the opening, then crimp it in place. When it fired the wad would disintegrate but the crimp would often remain in place, there wasn't enough pressure to iron it out. Boxes of those rounds were prevalent at guns shows ever since the end of the Korean War, I've had several and the primers often looked odd, because blanks rounds can push primers back enough to affect functioning.

(Hence the reason that most "funeral ammo" was fired from bolt guns, which were pointed upwards rather vigorously, to make the powder sit right on top of the primer/flash hole, which was sometimes enlarged for better, more consistent ignition.)

:bandit:

Reactions: amustangrocks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the neck/opening look normal? It might be a blank round, used for funerals and special events. They would put five or six grains of Bullseye in the case and insert a red cardboard wad at the opening, then crimp it in place. When it fired the wad would disintegrate but the crimp would often remain in place, there wasn't enough pressure to iron it out. Boxes of those rounds were prevalent at guns shows ever since the end of the Korean War, I've had several and the primers often looked odd, because blanks rounds can push primers back enough to affect functioning.

(Hence the reason that most "funeral ammo" was fired from bolt guns, which were pointed upwards rather vigorously, to make the powder sit right on top of the primer/flash hole, which was sometimes enlarged for better, more consistent ignition.)

:bandit:
I didnt think about that till you posted, but my brother had a military funeral, and those guns going off were quite loud, but I guess they couldnt be firing rounds into the air for sure. Someone did tell me that they slip a live round into the flag after its folded and given to his wife. And 3 cases.
This case mouth looks normal, bt also it came from the range at my gun club so I dought anyone was shooting blanks there.
Ammunition Material property Copper Wood Metal
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Floor Table

·
Registered
274 Posts

US military cal 30 ball-30\06 , 30/40krag - CAL 30 US Gov't all had l.arge primers. I started reloading when I was a mere 12 years old in early 1980 with an RCBS rock chucker. I even has some Cal 30 US Navy long range MG ammo.... basically a 30/40 krag with a longer case body for more go juice . Rare stuff then and now. The only US loaded berdan primed ammo in the last 100 years has been that blazer aluminum cased junk. Have not played with US branded steel cased junk... but it's just that junk blazing ammo.
Using Lacwuer to seal case necks and primers has been done for 120 years plus.. The germans and brits were the only ones to use lacquer color to denote bullet type in place of a universal colored bullet tip format. This stuff is old hat...anybody read books anymore ?.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are three types of berdan flash holes. An Anvil with one on either side , an anvil with one to the side and an anvil with a central flash hole in it. If you know your headstamps on surplus ammo and some of the early Hansen imports stuff you will not get fooled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.