Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had a Winchester 94 with a bad bore. When I got it back from the reline shop I checked the chamber with a chamber cast….near perfect, just a bit on the tight side. That is just right and just what I wanted, then I measured the bore, .379, right on the dot. Looks like a great job of relining a barrel. Winchester brass is too tight but Starline is a perfect fit.

Now to shoot it and check accuracy. It shot 1 ½ inch group at 75 yards, not bad for a carbine with 20 inch barrel. Next group was 1 ¼ inches….that’s even better.

Then things went south…..after only 10 or 12 rounds down the barrel. With the next shot I had hard extraction. Hmm. Next shot was harder extraction. This is not good. Third shot locks up the rifle and required a cleaning rod to get the case out. Close examination revealed several small bulges in the case and one large bulge (with accompanying shiny spot) about ½ inch back from the case mouth.

The bulges look like the reverse of too much lube on the round. Bulging outward rather than inward as foreign matter in the chamber will do. The case is .005 larger from the web at the case head to a point about ½ inch back from the case mouth. Case mouth is normal size.

View attachment 107585 .....And the other end.... View attachment 107586

The case has numerous little bulges and bubbles in the case wall that don't show in the photos. Too much pressure? The load is 10 gr. Unique under a 240 gr, Lasercast sized .380 in Starline 2.082 brass.

Anyone want to take a guess at what has happened?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Isn't the 10gr of unique a pretty common pet load? Not really position sensitive? I didn't think it was known to do this kinda stuff. Just last night i bellied up to the bench and loaded some 32-40 for the first time. Being not really savvy on the unique loads yet I opted for the better case fill of the reloader 7. Now you've got me wondering.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
This ought to be an interesting subject, Jim. I don't have enough knowledge to even comment, so I won't, but am looking forward to hearing what you figure out.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Does it chamber hard? Might be the front of the chamber is a tad tight.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
For my two cents I would tend to agree with Green Lizzard. Perhaps the insert was not coated 100% with adhesive and once in place and dry the chamber then expanded into the voids left by no adhesive when fired. I had what appears to be a similiar thing happen when I put a chamber insert into an older model 308 Winchester. The 7.62x39 insert expanded to fill the oversize bore and blew out to the point the insert was useless. Hope you find the correct answer and that the "fix" isn't too difficult. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it chamber hard? Might be the front of the chamber is a tad tight.
It was no more temperamental than other 38-55 rifles. The rifle (carbine) chambered the thinner Starline brass just fine but the Winchester brass which is thicker was hard to chamber.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
JB,

Take another cast of the chamber, and then measure the the latest cast against the original cast........that, and a visual inspection of both casts may tell you something.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hey Tom,

I did and it did. The original chamber cast was within SAAMI specs. and looked perfect........the last chamber cast showed the case to be correct at the head and mouth. The head was good as far as the web went but then opened up over .005 forward with a mottled texture of the case walls or sides. The mouth was good back about 1/2 inch and then had an unknown sized bulge. Unknown because it was reduced in size to get it out of the chamber, thus the shiny band on the case as shown in pic.

First bottle neck 38-55 I have ever seen..:hmmmm:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I would be in contact with the reline shop. They should make it right or be able to tell you more. If the barrel was glued in could you have messed it up when you did the cast?

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts

Hey Tom,

I did and it did. The original chamber cast was within SAAMI specs. and looked perfect........the last chamber cast showed the case to be correct at the head and mouth. The head was good as far as the web went but then opened up over .005 forward with a mottled texture of the case walls or sides. The mouth was good back about 1/2 inch and then had an unknown sized bulge. Unknown because it was reduced in size to get it out of the chamber, thus the shiny band on the case as shown in pic.

Jim,

OK, I kinda thought so............

After I posted, I thought you might have difficulty getting the last (2nd) cast out of the chamber in good form, due to a central bulge. I've seen that happen before with a bulged chamber.........

Do you think (Ask the Reliner) there is enough material within the chamber walls to selectively ream and polish the chamber, and stay within SAAMI specs........Pulling that liner could prove difficult.

I'm not too sure what the issues are with drilling and reaming the liner and inserting a new chamber, now that you have a liner installed .......that may be an option.

I think I'd go back to the re-line Shop and show him the two chamber casts...........Let me know what he suggests.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Tom

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

Hey Tom,

Heck, Jim, I think I'd be jumping down the throat of whoever relined that barrel !

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for your help Tom, The Reline shop is doing his own inspection, I have not made my opinion known to him. I'll wait and see how he handles it....he is to call me next week to discuss what he has found. The second chamber cast was deformed in getting it out because of the chamber bulge.

Chris, I don't want to make noise until I know more and see what the shop intends to do.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Well, the shop said that the problem was a wayward boring tool...it broke a cutting flute on one side of the tool and made some un-noticed? gouges in the chamber area. That in turn, caused voids between the barrel and the new liner. Chamber pressure did the bulges in the liner to fill the voids.

This could happen to anyone and the Reliner (Delta gun shop of Colville Washington) installed a new liner and UPS now is bringing it back to me. Any judgments of Delta Gun Shop will be withheld until I see the final outcome of this.

I should get the gun in a couple of days. After a complete test, both function and visual, I will then post the next chapter in this saga.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Did they discuss what options are available to fix the issue? DP

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

Well, the shop said that the problem was a wayward boring tool...it broke a cutting flute on one side of the tool and made some un-noticed? gouges in the chamber area.
I'm like you, Jim..............."un-noticed" ? :hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Jim, I would have thought the initial chamber cast would have shown that.

So, is he going to drill the old liner out and start over or what?

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim, I would have thought the initial chamber cast would have shown that.

So, is he going to drill the old liner out and start over or what?
The initial chamber cast was after only two rounds had been fired...everything was within specs. at that time. Only after some 15 or 20 rounds had been fired did the chamber pressure swell the liner to fill the voids in the barrel and thus create the bulges in the fired case.

Just call me Murphy.....of Murphy's Law fame......"If anything CAN go wrong....it will"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts