Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Looks pretty darn nice! :shock:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Real nice find,and the wood on it is beautiful :shock: ....You have a keeper there.congradulations..

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first saw this gun I thought, "Too bad he took the original stocks off"
But after shouldering it, and looking the gun over, these stocks feel and shoulder so much better than the originals, that I fell in love with them! The checkering is some of the finest I've ever seen.
I know the gentleman who stocked and checkered this rifle, and his workmanship is some of the best around!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hey MM,

That's a beautiful rifle. How does easily does it sight with that raised comb? My 444 has a raised comb as well, makes it really nice if you have a scope but I have to concentrate and adjust if I want to sight with irons.

So is it a shooter or is it just a looker? If you are going to shoot it do you plan to scope it?

SS

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very nice. I am glad for you.
I think back of all the rifles that I have sold over the years. You think that you can just buy one some other time. Ha !! You could 30 years ago but not now. If you have something nice now KEEP IT !!! You may never find one again.
>> Tombstone

·
Banned
150 Posts
Vall,

That is one gorgeous gun. Enjoy. Do let us know how she shoots.

I have several .35s, including one that was a gift and will never be sold. It has manificent, gleaming, honey-colored original wood and is treasured. Excellent action and a joy to handle, shoulder and shoot.

It's the mate to my .30-30, with the confusing B prefix in the serial number on that inexpicable 336 receiver.

Both have very unusual stocks and are eye catchers, as fun to look at as to shoot. Mysteries both.

lazer

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sidespin,
Seems to hold on the iron sights OK, although I too noticed I need to have my cheek tight to the comb to sight it. It's most definitely both a looker and a shooter! I drew a special 2 1/2 moth cow elk tag for Jan 1st thru Mar 15th next year, so I'll be using this gun for that hunt, if it shoots good too!
Tombstone,
My first .35 was a 1950 vintage Marlin, the first year for the .35 Rem, and a friend wouldn't sell me a deluxe model 1892 Marlin, unless the .35 went in as part trade. This one's not going anywhere ever!
Lazer,
Thanks! My dear friend built these stocks, and was rightfully very proud of his work. He recently passed away, and I had to own this gun, so I bought it from his wife. Hopefully my daughter will someday appreciate it, as I always have, since the first time my friend finished it!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well took the .35 out to the range today. I also took along a scope and base to install, if I couldn't hit well enough with the irons. (old eyes)
Fired some factory Remington 200 RN, Win. 200 Silvertips, and some Peters in 150 grain RN. With the iron sights it prints about 3" groups on average, with the Rem. 200 RN being the tightest.
I then put an old Weaver K10 on that I had laying around, and it shot groups of around 1.5" at 100 yds, with the Rem's still the tightest at just under 1.5". Looks like it will work just fine for elk!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts