Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, I am new to this forum and I have some questions.
Being fond of Marlin Lever actions I have searched for years and finally found a 336RC( Barrel Stamped) Deluxe Texan 20" barrel carbine with Straight Select Stock wood, and carved longhorn and Map of Texas in stock in 99+% condition. It also has the original Swivels for the sling and I got it from the original owner and he apologized for not being able to find the box. I also recieved 15 boxes of Winchester 35 Rem, 200 gr. ammo with the gun that were contained in a military ammo can.
I want to load some gas checked hard cast 200 gr. fp BEARTOOTH bullets for this gem, I have been to all the reloading sites and all the popular powder companies, and read all the post here regarding loading the .35 Rem., but nothing re: BEARTOOTH Bullets. . I am inclined to use IMR or HODGDON powder. Any suggestions? You really dont want to know how much I paid for it, it will make you cry, Sorry no pictures yet. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Most any of the data that keeps a normal bullet (cast) at or under 2000-2200 fps should be good. In cases like the 35 Rem where bullets are made pretty much for that caliber. For instance with jacketed bullets where the cannelure is placed determines OAL in tube magazine applications. A 200 gr bullet +- a few grains is going to be about the same size, alloy and point shape factor in but for my .35 Rem when I get to shooting cast bullets the listed loads should be fine. I plan on dropping back a bit as I will be casting my own and tend to prefer a slightly softer alloy. Regardless stick with the manuals or drop back to factory velocities and you should do fine.

BTW with no direct experience yet my understanding is that for cast bullets H4895 burns slower than 3031 and should be gentler on the cast bullet. As a plus that data you read here about getting all you can from the .35 tends towards using H4895.

B.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found that IMR 3031 works very well for me with 200 grain gaschecked lead bullets. Been shooting various charges of 3031 for over thirty years with lead and jacketed in my .35. There are other good choices too but IMR 3031 is my favorite.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts