Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had given my last Mod 336 ( Ackley Improved) to a good friend who had never owned a deer rifle. I got to be with him when he shot a big hog with it too. That was over 3 yrs ago, maybe 4. Then the ammo crunch came and Marlin JM 336's started going up in price, even here in Utah. I haven't even seen 30-30 ammo on the shelves, but I had a stash of components.:flute: I kept looking for another 70's era Mod 336, specifically in 30-30, but none ever caught my eye ( or wallet!) I finally saw a 1971 model, in very good shape from the pics, on Gunbroker. I won the bid for $315.25, so the Scot in me is happy, lol. I am praying I get it undamaged as the butt stock/forearm color appeals to me a lot. I have passed many, many Mod 336's that were around $400 or more and pretty scarred up/rust pitted/worn wood. I certainly did not want a Remlin or one of the birch wood stocked. I like the walnut, pistol grip with whiteline cap, uncheckered models. I am also leaving this one in standard 30-30. The Ackley was fun, but too much sugar for a dime what with fireforming and all. I think growing up with a 30-30 as a teen made a real soft spot in my rifleman's heart, ha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
You got it at a great price!!! It looks real nice!!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Fine looking rifle, Preacher!

Haveing the patience to find exactly what you want, within a certain price range for the firearm of your choice is the best way to go about it. You knew in the back of your mind that one day, you'd get another 30-30 or else you'd of sold off the 30-30 components.:biggrin:

"Too much candy for a dime" I tell my supervisor that sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Wow, Preacher, good for you! That is a smokin' deal from my perspective. The "big" question - are you going to taint it with jacketed bullets or keep it pure and shoot cast? How can I bless you in your quest? No joke, nice rifle!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Very nice looking gun. I love the 30-30. Great round, plenty of fun, plenty of punch for deer. Hogs. Bears, at least little black bears we have in Ok.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, and yes Sweets, I am making plans to corrupt that bore with a bunch of jacketed bullets, ha. I was "going" to shoot cast in that 32 special Winchester a few years back, remember? That was one brutally wicked kicker with that crescent metal butt plate ( Mod 94 Canadian commemorative carbine) ha. I am sticking with jacketed, will probably have to try some more of those .030 jacket 190 Hawks again. I have a wad of 170 Corlokts, some old Nosler 170 Solid bases, and some 170 Hot Cors. I did see a bunch of factory ammo at the gunshop today, both 150 and 170 weight.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Looks nice and at a great price! :congrats:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Great deal there!! Can't wait to hear how she shoots!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully the trigger will be fine as is. I've had a few older models ( 30-30, 35 R, 45-70, 444) that either their factory trigger was fine or someone had smoothed them up. The rest I just have a Wild West Happy Trigger put in. I also have my smith put a Decelerator recoil pad on, but at stock LOP. I like to lean a rifle against a tree, or rocks, etc when hunting/glassing,etc and the pad keeps them from slipping and falling. Plus, hopefully, someday, the Liberal Twin ( my other Twin is conservative/Vet, that egg split right in the middle!) mom of my only grandson won't be able to control every aspect of his waking moments and he might actually like to shoot a rifle! ( Its a long, sorry story, ha. I do get to take him fishing though, but C&R, no killing fish!:ahhhhh:)

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! My rifle has been in the shop all this time! The trigger was about 7#, ha, so I had my smith order a Happy Trigger. He orders his parts mainly through Brownells, and they were backordered. He also did the aforementioned work to it. I was in no hurry, what with my first vacation in 10yrs being planned/paid for and other projects. I can pick it up tomorrow and I will zero it with some Nosler 170 solid bases I have left over. I have gathered up some more once fired brass (WW) and most of my previous loads are in it. I am then going to work up a load with the 170 corlokt. I'm getting jazzed. I am going to keep it close for a long time, even use it as a trunk gun. Now all I need is time to go shoot this and a couple new pistols I have gathered up in the meantime ( a P32 and a XDs .45) I also am going to try a few Buffalo Bore 255gr HCGC through my G30. I have seen lots of reviews where it works fine with the factory barrel. I'm only talking a few rounds to see if I can use it for a woods load. A 255gr around 850 in this G30 will work for me! I used to load the same weight/speed for a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, and I wasn't afraid of any "raw headed bloody boned boogers" in the woods! ha.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Yo Preacher!! Glad to hear you are still at it, J-Bullets and all! LOL! As an aside, I took my little 30TK 30-30 to the Happenz 4 up in Washington last month. She flailed the 400 yard dinger! Not every shot was a "ding", but a great percentage were. At 650 yards I had about a 38" group on a 34" target, so no "ding", but what a rush! Mountain Hunter did hit it with his 30-30 and went on to the 900 yard target! 30-30's rock! Yeah, and we were both shooting cast bullets....

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Sweets! All I need now is some time to go shoot! My little wife has been going to physical therapy almost everyday for a past whiplash, so our schedules got off. Oh well, I can always claim its too hot, ha. My smith forgot to put the recoil pad on, but I'm in no hurry for one. I didn't draw any tags this year so looks like I'll be mostly coyote hunting anyway. I may go "for a walk in the woods" come elk season, but I just can't go where my SIL and buddies go...I would be too embarrassed to have a heart attack, lol. Anyhow, the little 336 looks good hanging on the wall behind me, ( of course I have to lock it up when I leave the house) Took my grandson to Bear River Service (south of Evanston) this past Saturday to fish their stocked pond. They weren't biting but we made some memories and he got to see his first buffalo out at the roadside park in Evanston. Oh yeah, this Happy Trigger breaks just shy of 3#...suhweet! ha.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Nice looking rifle right there!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Good for you, Preacher.

I have bought only two guns on Gunbroker, and both arrived safe and sound. One was a really nice late 50's .35Rem. It was from a gunsmith in Michigan. It arrived in a package looking like a giant ham. He had removed the butt stock, wrapped the two pieces individually, then wrapped the two pieces together. Downside, it took a while to unwrap. Up side was that it had not one scratch added and one screw put it all back together.

I called him to thank him for the great wrap job. He said that years of dealing with express companies had taught him a few things.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got to the range yesterday. I was working up a load for my SIL's grandfather's old 30-06. I also had to remount a scope/zero on my BAR .270 and zero this 336. I had a Williams Fool proof receiver sight put on this rifle, but kept the original front sight. I normally like a flat gold bead 1/16" front, but wasn't sure what height I would need. Turns out the factory front was fine. I had a bunch of the older 170 grain Nosler Solid base loaded up for my last 30-30; 32gr Varget in Win cases. It was an accurate load, not too warm in my last 336. It was super accurate in this one too. I didn't try and group, just zeroed to hit spot on at 25, then moved out to 100. I like to use the tip top of the bead at 6 o'clock hold on a 4" square. Just a few clicks and I was spot on at 100. I'm very pleased. I have quite a few left to load, and right now, I'm sticking with this load. I didn't draw out for any hunts this year, so in no hurry. My SIL's 06 is a sporterized Mauser 98 with an aftermarket barrel. He had tried several factory loads and it only did about 4 to 5" at 100. He was pretty bummed so I asked him if I could try and find him a good load. He likes to elk hunt a lot so I started with some Barnes 168 TSX, RP cases, BR2 primers and IMR 4350. He also had some IMR 4350 on hand so that's why I used it instead of H4350 ( which I normally do) I seated them about .070 off the lands, and crimped them with a LFC die. I knew from past experience with several 06 rifles that somewhere between 56-58 gr of IMR 4350 would be the ticket. I previously had really cleaned the barrel with wipeout, then soaked the bore overnight with EezOx. I started with 5 rds at 56.5 gr, and it began to settle down on the 4th round. The 5th round was about 1" from the 4th so I knew I was getting close. Sure enough, 4rds of 57gr went into a sold .60" ( maybe a tad smaller) I didn't try the 57.5gr loads I had. He is set now to zero where he wants and kill anything in NA, ha. My SIL is a Marine Master Sgt Reservist ( two tours in Iraq) and I am very proud of him. When I told him I had him a load that shot a bit over .5", I also told him that "no telling" how good a shot I would have been if I had gone into the Marines instead of the Army! ha. He is a great shot himself, but "ol daddy in law" still has him beat, lol.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
This is hard to explain but yesterday I took my 1977 Texan to my boy's place to shoot but the other guns I had with me demanded most of my time. I did not get around to shooting the 30-30 and it remained just boresighted. My son wanted to shoot it and I explained that it was just boresighted. He put a gallon paint can out about 35-40 yards and shot twice off his elbows on a truck hood. there was a little white spot on the can that he aimed at and lo and behold there were two holes touching inside the little spot when we walked over to look at it. Heck of a job boresighting is all I can say. Ha. Reloader 7 behind a 150 rem corelock. The scope was a 25 year Weaver Steel Lite 4x that had never been out of the box until I mounted it on the 336.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.