·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: wags2477

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Yes, I'd like one but not at that price.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nice rifle, but you could fly to America on holiday for that price. And, buy one for around $700 USD. Register the rifle on return and have had a good vacation and a new rifle to boot.

I am sure its not that easy, but a good 45/70 is almost worth that amount of effort....:biggrin: I have been wondering, what do you all hunt in Australia or New Zealand that you use a 45/70?

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
I've always wanted an 1894M but can never pull the trigger with the prices so high. I already have a bolt action Marlin 22 mag, guess that will have to do. When I'm going to spend that much money on a Marlin you can bet it will be a Guide Gun 1st.

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used mine on everything from rabbits to deer, if things go to plan hopefully buff next year.
Yeah, I know the trip that you're planning on the 45/70 for the buff. I'm a bit jealous that I can't commit to going myself. It should be epic!

Reactions: Deadwood Pike

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, I know the trip that you're planning on the 45/70 for the buff. I'm a bit jealous that I can't commit to going myself. It should be epic!
Hope so mate, TYB has his 375H&H up and running, practicing on bunnys last weekend, should be nice and familiar with it by the time we go.
Given we have the 375H&H as backup along with what ever one of the other boys will be carrying I'm very tempted to use a black powder load. 6 in the mag 1 in the chamber and keep shooting until its on the ground.

If we end up doing the road trip we could always pick you up on the way.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer of the ride, but it's work that is stopping me, not the travel. If I knew I could get the time, I know where I'd be! Plus it would be my excuse for a 1895 45/70 as well!

Reactions: Deadwood Pike

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I finally bought one 6 months ago. I only seen one other locally, and the price was over $800 and it was sold before (less than an hour) I could even make an offer. All the ones online were going for over a grand. It all worked out because about a year later I found another one 100 miles away with 700 rounds of ammo for $575 + tax. I simply love it! It's one of neatest 1894's ever made.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Curan:

Do you shoot croc with 45/70? I guess you might have seasons but I have friends in LA. They hunt gators with bait and hooks. Very big hooks set at night. They check the hook lines each morning. I tell you one, those gator are not always dead. They got me to pull a line in and I almost had a BM. Darn gator was alive and thrashing. Almost got the tail across my rib. That was one pi $$ed off gator. Those boys in Homa Parish had a good laugh at my expense. Crazy what we do when we are young and bullet proof.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curan:

Do you shoot croc with 45/70? I guess you might have seasons but I have friends in LA. They hunt gators with bait and hooks. Very big hooks set at night. They check the hook lines each morning. I tell you one, those gator are not always dead. They got me to pull a line in and I almost had a BM. Darn gator was alive and thrashing. Almost got the tail across my rib. That was one pi $$ed off gator. Those boys in Homa Parish had a good laugh at my expense. Crazy what we do when we are young and bullet proof.
No DP, I've never shot a croc, and I don't think it is legal to shoot 'em down here, so I probably won't get the chance.
Scrub Bull and Water Buffalo are another story, but I haven't ventured up North to have a crack at them either. Those beasties all live up north of the Tropic of Capricorn, and that's a fair way from where I live in South Australia (about 1500 miles to the buff and croc country from here). That's a bit like driving from Wyoming to Louisiana, for a comparison. That is why the trip that 220 is going on is a great opportunity to get up there and have a go. I should mention that 220 will be travelling closer to 2200 miles to get to buff country from his home if he does drive. That's like LA to Atlanta.

cheers, curan

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
GP there was a story about croc hunting in the Australian Sporting Shooter I read only last night about how the Northern Territory Govt. have been trying to get safari type hunting of crocs organised, but unfortunately animal rights groups have yet again influenced the federal govt. in their decision to approve.

The NT Govt. have been trying to start a programme for 20 years run in conjunction with the local indigenous people to assist in employment to the area which currently has little or no employment opportunities.

However the Humane Society International said the rejection of the plan was a wise thing, as Trophy Hunting is an outdated approach to wild life management.

I feel that the Fed. Govt. has to suck up to these so called 'animal rights groups' which make up the Green Party to get their current Budget Reforms through Parliment. What we need is more members from the Shooters and Fishers Party to go into bat for all of us hunters. The Govt's. approach to wild life management is a wasted resorce in this country. They cant even agree on a Kangaroo cull in their own back yard, when there is thousands of Kangaroos invading Canberra every night, even that has gone to the high court. What must that be costing the tax payers of this country.

Woops, there I go again. :hmmmm:.

GUS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.