Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to trade my 29 towards a 20. I conceal some of my slightly larger 9's just as well as the 29 and I really just like the bigger gun better; and the 20 seems like the perfect gun for the Michigan woods.

I have a couple deals on the table. One is for a Gen 2, with a 100 rounds of ammo, 4 mags, NDZ stainless guide rod with 17# ISMI spring and a holster. (I would have no money out of pocket on this deal) The other is for a brand new Gen 3 (I am pretty sure its a gen 3) for $517. I would have to come up with some cash.

Is there that much of a difference between the Gen 2 and 3? I know about the finger grooves and rail, but is there anything else?

I am not a Glock expert, but I am leaning towards the Gen 2.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I'm no Glock expert either, but you don't see too many Gen 2's for sale that's for sure. The Gen 3's and 4's are around but rarely do you see a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. Tough decision. I got a Gen 4 and am happy with it, but if a Gen 2 was available , well that would have been hard to pass up. Good luck with you decision, a tough one it is.
JB

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I have Glock 20 Gen3 SF, no issues, no problems, accurate and very, very, reliable, most times hiking I tote the 20 and my wife totes the 29, she thinks it's hers! I love the 10mm!

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
138 Posts
My G20 is a gen 3 also.

I have read about a lot of guys changing out barrels and guide rods but my experience says it's not necessary. I've put quite a few hot loads from DoubleTap and Georgia Arms down the pipe without any issues at all and my G20 remains bone stock from the factory.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Not a of fan of buying used 10mm pistols. Frequently the guns have been beaten with very heavy loads by a person who failed to swap out the recoil spring for a heavier one. Personally would go with new Gen 3, unless you know the history of the Gen 2. Not so much talking abut the Double Tap, which is hotter than standard factory loads these days, but still almost the same as the original Norma factory load (200gr at 1250). But rather the really hot stuff some folks cook up.

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
The G20 will be my next pistol I buy!!!! I have always wanted one and plan on buying the Lone Wolf 6" barrel for it to do some hunting with!!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could keep the 29 and get the 20 also. The 29 is a nice little gun, but funds dont allow it. I am definitely leaning toward the new gen 3 now. Hopefully I can get it this weekend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe the Gen 2 pistols had less chamber support than the newer pistols, therefore you wouldn't want to shoot really hot loads. Maybe check the chamber support on your 29 and compare it to the Gen 2, just to make sure.

Matt

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up with a barely used gen 2. I will let you guys know how it shoots.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, chamber support question.

I bought some of these:

Buffalo Bore Ammo 10mm Auto 180 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20

Am I okay to shoot these out of my Gen 2? I am planning on upgrading barrels before hunting season, and could do it now but its not the best financially to do it now. I would really like to test some of these out this sunday. Also, are these rounds enough for protection up to Black Bear sized animals?

Thanks

Oh and I am probably going to order this barrel when funds allow:

Shopping Cart | KKM Precision

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have owned and shot glocks of all gen's in 10, when they were first out till the new one's now out
they all worked well, held up fine, and Glock stands behind there guns 100%
so I doubt you would have to worry about an issue IF one ever came up
looking at the frame should show if there is abuse there or not
not all that many folks really shoot 10's as hard as many want folks to believe, and those that do, tend to hold onto the guns they have
as for a second gen or a third, , to me it would just come down to what one fit the hand better
the slip on finger grips worked fine for me for yrs, till I got a newer one, was just as happy either way
you don't see many first and second gen's these days, due to so many police trade in's and folks got them for deals cheap enough to just hold onto them, thus why not many for sale
when I was a dealer I was getting them dirt cheap and flipping them as fast as I got them in, and seldom anyone came back to trade one in or sell it
they just all kept them
so, if you like the second gen, I say grab it, BUT look it over well before you do, same as with any gun you plan to buy
if you don;t know what to look for, take someone with you that does, or have a good smith look at it, cheaper to pay a good smith a few bucks for his time, than buy a lemon!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would shoot a few rounds and check the cases for bulges, I doubt that you would have any serious issues, though. I have never had a gen2 10mm, but I have read that some of the earlier Glocks had less chamber support than the newer ones, but most serious problems were caused by over-pressured reloads.

It looks like those are loaded with the Nosler bullets. If you are worried about that ammo at those velocities, but want a hot load with those bullets check out Underwood ammo. They load 180 grain Noslers specifically for the Delta Elite at 1240 fps as opposed to 1300fps, and they are considerably cheaper. I'm about to add a G29 to my collection, and those are the rounds I'm going to use in it for hiking.

Matt

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did get the gen 2. I cannot wait to shoot it.

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Underwood ammo is really, really, good, I have shot a lot of the underwood 180Gr TMJ, my Handloads are based from their performance!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well? Did'ya get a chance to try it out? How are you liking it so far?

Did you ever sell/trade the 29?

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. I really like the 20. I have put about 150 rounds down range thus far. I do plan on getting another barrel and some different sights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.