Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.44mag........not hot loads at all. 240s @ 900-1100 for plinking (accuracy to be the determining factor on fps) and those will take any deer at handgun range. Anyway, should I clean, trim and anneal? And if I do, is putting them in a pan upright, with water about 3/4 the way up and putting them in the oven @ 500 for awhile the way to do it? Or is it even necessary with the light loads I'll be doing?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Tubby,

I don't think it is necessary. I am going out in a minute to load up some 220 gr. I will be checking case length though and throw them in the tumbler before I deprime.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I've always used a pan of water and a propane torch. Fill the pan so the cases are 2/3 covered with the case head under water and heat the neck and shoulder to a dull red and tip the case over to quench it in the water. It has always worked for me. Too much heat and the cases are junk, not enough and they will not be annealed. I've never heard of the oven method. water boils @ 212 and wont last long at 500. The water will be the same temp. as the cases untill it boils away. I only do this on rifle cases, handgun cases are cheap . just buy new cases. HYDE

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think Tubby was talking about putting them in the oven at 500 to dry the water out of them. Tubby, my self I would try 350 to dry them as 500 sounds a little hot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts