Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
andrew:

my hunting partner (knottybumpo) put a green mountain barrel chambered .17 high standard on his ruger 10/22. i reckon that makes it a 10/17 aquila.

anyways, the rotory clips make the thing a jam o matic for sure. the thing shoots good enough but the jamming is a pain. he says that it jammed with reg. .22 lr. at times as well.

it seems that the bullet gets forward in the clip and hits the other side.

i am wondering if you know of any fixes of any kind?

thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Squacks: I have adjusted the spring tension with great success -and I'd advise that for sure- but another fix is to make a small dimple-mark on the front (steel ) hub of the magazine. This dimple is at 4 0'clock when facing the magazine from the muzzle end. This small amount of metal displacement is enough to move the bullet nose up and towards the shooter's right; towards the chamber. It's an easy fix and requires a small, sharp punch and a hammer to complete. Takes longer to describe it than it does to do it!

I have had two, balky 77/22 magazines that went from jammomatics to 100% feed using this method. Have your buddy displace the metal right on the front corner of the hub at 4-o'clock. Should work if the mag tension doesn't do it first. As with all self loading magazines, a quick rap against the palm to seat all the cartridges to thr rear is always a good thing.

Glad to see your friend likes the 17 Aguila. After a year and a half of shooting it I must say I love it. I've taken bushel baskets full of rabbits and groundsquirrels with it. The last time out I played a 40 minute game of hide and seek with a ground squirrel that would stick his head out, then duck, then come back and peek again. These S.Cal desert squirrels have a head about the size of a peach pit -if that- and when he finally committed I nailed him in the head at 58 yards. It was a very pleasing shot. ~Andrew

PS: As an aside, I was told I'll be getting some new prototype 17 Aguila for testing next month. I know what it is, but can't tell much now. Suffice to say, 17 Aguila shooter will like it when / if it comes to pass.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
andrew:

thanks for the quick reply. i am sure he will try your suggestions.

i have one of the rounds that jammed in the gun here. i have never seen what happened before. the bullet went completely up inside the case.

he also noticed that the powder burns pretty dirty. for the first time being fired and it being an auto, the thing shot pretty good. it is definitely usable for tree squirrels.

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The powder is relatively slow burning and somewhat dirty. I just live with it. In an auto it appears even more so. (The action gets quite dirty after a 1000 rounds or so. When I tested the 17 Aguila in a Mach 2 chamber for Aguila, the residue was thick after a few bricks.) My 10/22 Aguila will shoot 1/2 to 5/8" at 50 yards with a really nasty trigger. I confess, am a bolt gun guy for the most part. My 77/22 is a jewel. If i wasn't going to Scotland next month I would show up for your Shawnee hunt. As it stands, I've used up all my good graces at work with a 18 day stint off in September. ~Andrew

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andrew:

i am pleased to hear that you were considering coming. i hope you make it there someday. it would be a pleasure to meet you.

i plan on using my .32 caplock rifle for the irons contest again this year. i got beat using it last year, but it was not the rifle's fault. i shot at enough to have won it handily. i JUST DID NOT HIT ANY OF THEM! LOL!

oh....but this year MAY be differant.

hope you have a great time in scotland. if you learn to play the pipes while you are there......we are always looking for folks in shawnee that can play most anything! lol!

luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts