Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, New here. I recently picked up a 1946 36A and have been loving all the info here. I really love strong communities like this.

marlin_30-30-20120707-143341.jpg

Anyways, Other than a cracked butt, the gun is in great shape -- looks like it was loved well but put away wet. Most likely an inheritance gun that was never used -- kept in a case, but bumped around a lot through the years and finally someone decided to sell it.

The internals were clearly gunked up with old power and slight rust, It had clearly recently been over oiled.. Most likely by the seller to free it up a bit -- But cleaned up great.

marlin_36-20120707-143528.jpg

There was one thing that was odd, and that was that the half cock wouldn't stick well. And when it did, it was easily fired. I figured there was a bit of crud in the notch and it needed to be cleaned out.

Nope. I was wrong. I guess some people just really hate safeties. Someone at one point had taken a file to it, and all but shaved it off.

bad_safety-20120707-143121.jpg

Anyways. I just wanted to share my lesson learned here with everyone else. No matter how well you think a used gun is functioning, always take it apart, and take a good close look at it before it you shoot it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners!

That looks like a botched trigger job to me. I would replace the hammer with a new one to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Marlin Owners!

That looks like a botched trigger job to me. I would replace the hammer with a new one to be on the safe side.
Yup, I'm Planning on replacing it. Just need to figure out if the 336 hammer is interoperable with the 36a. Either way, I was a bit taken back when I saw it. I have seen bad gunsmith work before -- but this was pretty terrible.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Celly - Welcome to the MO site from west Texas. Nice looking rifle, and good recommendation in your post. Shenandoah

Reactions: Celly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like safeties on my 336's, but I have always thought that removing a safety was a really bad idea. removing the half-cock notch is incomprehensible.
Which makes doing it poorly beyond mind boggling...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Which makes doing it poorly beyond mind boggling...
I'm thinking Bubba didn't know enough to ID the sear from the half cock. There are some things in life where trail and error is a good way to learn. Not firearms.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Since you seem well versed, I assume you know about Brownell's, Midway, etc. I should mention that if you scroll waaaaay down the forums list, there is a good Gunsmithing section here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking Bubba didn't know enough to ID the sear from the half cock. There are some things in life where trail and error is a good way to learn. Not firearms.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Since you seem well versed, I assume you know about Brownell's, Midway, etc. I should mention that if you scroll waaaaay down the forums list, there is a good Gunsmithing section here.
It's odd you mention Midway and Brownells... Those are the words who's ink make my CC statement heavy... Luckily, I convinced my wife that Midway is the name of the electric company, and Brownells is the water and sewer company...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem before you had an accidental discharge!

Question though... You say in your post that you bought a 1946, 36A rifle. Based on your first picture, I've gotta ask if that is correct? I don't know squat about the pre 336 model 36's but I always thought the old "A" models had the 24" barrel and short mag tube. Your rifle looks like an RC model. Just wondering if the designations were different for the 36 than for the 336.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear you found the problem before you had an accidental discharge!

Question though... You say in your post that you bought a 1946, 36A rifle. Based on your first picture, I've gotta ask if that is correct? I don't know squat about the pre 336 model 36's but I always thought the old "A" models had the 24" barrel and short mag tube. Your rifle looks like an RC model. Just wondering if the designations were different for the 36 than for the 336.
So, from what I have found out, the serial is C7000 which makes it early 1946 - and the barrel roll says 36A rc. I found an ad of the 1946's and there was an rc in 1946 with the square bolt, so it isn't one of the 47/48 Frankenstein 336/36's that exist.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yup, I'm Planning on replacing it. Just need to figure out if the 336 hammer is interoperable with the 36a. Either way, I was a bit taken back when I saw it. I have seen bad gunsmith work before -- but this was pretty terrible.
There is a great difference between gunsmiths and Bubbas. That was a Bubba job.

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Celly, welcome to MO and enjoy yourself here. Thank you very much for the reminder about checking you firearms out completely prior to useing them. We somethimes forgeet the small simple things and that can get someone hurt of worse. Thanks again and just keep on keeping on, John.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's odd you mention Midway and Brownells... Those are the words who's ink make my CC statement heavy... Luckily, I convinced my wife that Midway is the name of the electric company, and Brownells is the water and sewer company...
:congrats:I'll drink to that.:tee: After I clean off my keyboard.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Lol. Was watching Silverado last night. Those cowboy/gunfighters had great dental coverage, outstanding tailors, and quick draw shooting the thorns off a cactus, WOW!
Montana,
It may not have been accurate, but Silverado was one of the best modern westerns going. As a matter of fact it is said Silverado paved the way for the Western movie re-birth.
John

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
So, from what I have found out, the serial is C7000 which makes it early 1946 - and the barrel roll says 36A rc. I found an ad of the 1946's and there was an rc in 1946 with the square bolt, so it isn't one of the 47/48 Frankenstein 336/36's that exist.
If possible, I'd really like to see a picture of the barrel roll stamp.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Celly, don't be insulting my 47/48 336A, it can't help it that left over trigger plates were used up in 48. I suppose you are going to look askance at the 336/36 A 32 Special I'm building. If Marlin didn't want the models mixing, they wouldn't have made them so they could be of mixed heritage. :flute:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts