Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a ruffed grouse on Saturday morning. I found it's crop full of pine needles when I cleaned it. I didn't think much of it till dinner time Sunday. The breast was dark meat like a spruce hen, and the rest of it was white meat like a ruffy.... I wonder if they inter breed? What's odd is it had the fan and heavy collar plumage of a ruffed grouse... Any ideas anyone? Maybe I'll have to get a hold of U of M Biology dept. to find out what's what...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Edit to add that I have seen Ruffed Grouse and Spruce Hens flocked together on a few rare occasions- I guess anything is possible... :?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I believe it's possible. Sounds like one species or the other was doin' a little slumming!! :oops: SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've sent an e-mail outlining the situation to the Zoology dept. at the University of Manitoba. I'll up-date this when they reply to me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
What did it taste like? The last grouse I shot and ate, (that was full of pine needles) tasted like pine needles! Hope your's was tastier!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, it were'nt too bad tasting ( urp! )... Not as tasty as a Ruffy, but not green tasting like a Spruce Hen.

I did a bit of reading, and it turns out that there are quite a few unidentified sub-species around the areas that I hunt. This is especially true up north, where what appears to be Sharptails are a bit larger than normal- I suspect a rock/willow ptarmigan influence here, but have no proof to back it up.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 5 of 5 Posts