Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting Model 99E. When Savage came out with this model in 1960, there were several produced with pre-1960, 900K serial number-range receivers that had the round count window on the side of the receiver. With the exception of these early 99Es, all other 99Es do not have the round count window.

Up to now, Savage collectors had only seen these 99Es with round counter in 1960 production (lever boss code “L”), almost all in .300 Savage and a couple in .250-3000 Savage. This one has a lever boss code “M” (1961) and is chambered in .308 Win with a 20" Chicopee Falls-marked barrel. It is the highest 900K serial number that Savage collectors have seen so far, the first observed manufactured in 1961 with a pre-1960 receiver, the first 99E seen with a round count window chambered in .308 Win, and the first seen with a 20” Chicopee Falls .308 barrel (Savage moved from Chicopee Falls to Westfield, Mass in 1960).
Gun Firearm Shooting sport Shooting Air gun

·
Premium Member
10,579 Posts
nice gun! I have had more 99s than I can remember. I only have one now, a 99R heavy in 300 sav. that will bug hole at 100 yds. with my handload. I had a 1958 EG in 308 and sold it like an idiot. one day I would like another in 250-3000,,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Nice one Keith and some great info! Remember that '67 99E 300 Savage carbine that I picked up about a year ago that had the nice walnut stock? I was real confused until you set me straight on the post-WWII 99E history.

Reactions: navajo

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
I have a 99A .243 torn apart on my work table now. Bought it last fall, knocked off the rust sighted it in and blasted a doe the next morning with a neck shot at 96 ranged yards. Next day it was torn down for clean up and some bluing work. Gonna give it to my girl friend so she can hunt with me.

·
Premium Member
10,579 Posts
the only thing I have ever had against a 99 is the sorry triggers. but years ago I learned how to do a trigger job on them, it is tricky but when done right they come out good,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.