Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been working up some of Taffens 300 grain 44 mag loads using 10 grains of unique. This is considered to be a meek load for 44 mag. I used standard primers. The load shot great out of my Henry 44 mag. No recoil excellent accuracy. BUT, the casings all split in half right where the bullet was seat inside. Complete case separation into two rings. But the primers weren't flattened. I tried 6 rounds. All did this. Kinda odd right? I'm thinking of not crimping them and seeing if that fixes it or backing off to 9.5 grains. I did have complete powder burn.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Sounds like you over crimped....a lot. That caused a big build-up in pressure....blew the brass apart....was this new brass?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hi, I shoot a lot of 44 Mag but use 2400 powder. My Speer manual lists a Max of 11.5 grains of Unique for a 240 grain bullet. Sounds as tho 10 is too much for a 300 grain. Maybe some one else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Over pressure and accuracy generally do NOT go together. It's the only time I've seen that particular issue. I've never used unique, so can't say if it was overcharged.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
How many loads on the brass?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Could this be caused by exsessive headspace?

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
I'm thinking crimp, certainly would be something to try. cannot speak to the powder as I have never used unique.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I ran a calculation on Quickload and found these results:

44 Mag, 4" barrel
300 gr / 10.0 gr Unique / 1.720 OAL
35018 psi / 984 fps / 645 ft-lb / 100 % Burn / 72.2% Fill

It doesn't look like this load should cause the problems the OP is having. I second the opinion that it likely is a crimp problem.

Marshall

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dropped back to 9 grains and the problem disappeared. Keep in mind I'm using a Henry 44 lever gun.
Marshall-that's good info. Thank you. I'm gonna start working up 2 grains at a time and see where it starts again. I didn't crimp at all this time.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Did the brass have a cannelure?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts